PDA

View Full Version : Enduro finish

Wally Wenzel
08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I have been reading here about this finish and would like to know more about what it is where it is avaible. Thanks
Wally

Paul Heely
08-30-2007, 1:15 PM
What it is is a water based polyurethane finish. What's suppose to make Enduro so special is that supposedly it does not yellow over time or have a blue tint to it when dry. From what I can see it does not have the bluish tint, time will tell on the yellowing part.

I found a procedure on the IAP pen turning forum and have loosely followed that. My process is sand the blanks and apply sanding sealer, usually 3-5 coats waiting a minute or 2 between coats. The sealer is then sanded smooth after sitting for a day. I then apply the gloss poly, 3-5 coats waiting a minute between coats. After sitting for a day or so I MM the finish smooth and buff and wax.

I buy my Enduro from Beartooth Woods. Ernie sells it in both 16oz bottles and a starter kit with 2oz bottles of sealer and gloss finish.

Jim Podsedly
08-30-2007, 1:15 PM
Wally,

Bear Tooth sells it. Haven't tried it yet but looking to soon.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2007, 4:34 PM
Wally I use the Enduro sanding sealer and finish. It takes longer than CA but I do like Paul does and after I put the sealer on I let it sit overnight then MM. I then put the finish on and let it sit overnight then MM. I am carrying a pen I did a year ago that I carry and use everyday. It still looks good. No yellowing on it.

Andy Watts
09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
What's suppose to make Enduro so special is that supposedly it does not yellow over time or have a blue tint to it when dry......

I found a procedure on the IAP pen turning forum and have loosely followed that. My process is sand the blanks and apply sanding sealer, usually 3-5 coats waiting a minute or 2 between coats. The sealer is then sanded smooth after sitting for a day. I then apply the gloss poly, 3-5 coats waiting a minute between coats. After sitting for a day or so I MM the finish smooth and buff and wax.

How do you (or any one for that matter) apply the sealer and finish? Paper towel, or ??

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Andy I apply mine with a old T-shirt. They work pretty well. I have applied it with paper towels but like the old T-shirt better.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-04-2009, 3:18 AM
Hi Bernie,

I'm going to turn 10 pens for the (second) time. I did turn one at a WW show for myself, but no other experience than that.

In this case, it is going to be for my 10 staff members as X-mas gifts. Wood is cocobolo. I was aiming toward CA, but reading about the enduro has me entrigued. Can you show me your pen?

Also, any hints for a relative newbie? I'm turning the "easy" Elegant Sierra, by BereaHardwoods.:o

Thanks,

Jeff

Jim Sebring
10-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I gave up on the difficulty of applying a smooth CA finish and went to Enduro. I use up to 6 sanding sealer coats, plus micro mesh, and a like number of finish coats. Many of the IAP folks use Viva paper towels for a smooth finish with both CA and Enduro.

Enduro was sold to General Finishes a few years ago. I have been unable to determine what the current GF product is called. The kit with two ounce bottles sold by BW goes a mighty long ways.