PDA

View Full Version : Molding/casing for half-round window

Jamie Smith
08-30-2007, 8:52 AM
Hi All-

I have a window in my house that remains to be cased in. It is a half-round window (ok, not QUITE half, from the measurements). I have added a wide colonial-style casing to all of the other entry/passage/windows in the house, and would like something similar on the half-round. It doesn't need to be exactly the same, just of a similar style.

The molding would need to have about a 34" inside radius. I don't have a molding machine. Does anyone know of a good place to order such a thing (cost is an issue, which is why I would be willing to accept a different profile).

The window is shown below- the white around it is painted just for looks:

Any ideas?

thanks,

-jamie

Scott Whiting
08-30-2007, 9:38 AM
If you are in any decent sized city there will be a molding supply house. Look under "molding" in the phone book. Not all of them will be able to supply radius molding. There is quite a bit of labor to lay one up. You do have the right idea though by being willing to accept a pattern that is close so you don't have to buy a set of knives.

Tony De Masi
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Jamie, also check out any local mill shops. They should have an ample supply of radius templates to fit you window and I'm sure a set of knives that you would be happy with.

Tony

Mick Zelaska
08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I had a similar problem with half-round windows. I found my trim profile (DC-98) in a flexible trim that bent to the exact radius of the window. A bit pricey, but looks like wood and installed easily.

http://www.trimster.com/?gclid=CICZqJS_nY4CFQZxHgodWmJnSw

Jamie Smith
08-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I had a similar problem with half-round windows. I found my trim profile (DC-98) in a flexible trim that bent to the exact radius of the window. A bit pricey, but looks like wood and installed easily.

http://www.trimster.com/?gclid=CICZqJS_nY4CFQZxHgodWmJnSw

I also found that site, but was afraid it would be too much, but after actually digging out a phone book and calling a local place, that was cheaper, even with shipping!

I just ordered this one:

http://www.trimster.com/closeup.asp?item1=FLX0445

which seems to match perfectly

Thanks!

I will try to post pictures when it gets done

Jamie Smith
09-24-2007, 10:41 AM
I received the molding and got it put up. Hanging it was harder than I expected, since it kept flopping around.

It came in a square box, pre-bent (I forgot to take a picture, but the box looked like a square donut, about 2' square). When I placed the order, I entered how big the radius was, and which side the "thick" part of the molding was to go (inside or outside of the circle). They calculated the length with room to spare.

It cut pretty easy with just a utility knife, though if I had to do many I would probably use a saw.

I hung it up, and the finisher (my wife ;)) did her thing.

Not a tremendous difference in overall appearance, but it definitely looks finished now.

Thanks for the help!

Scott Coffelt
09-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Locally at one of the wood suppliers, they make a flexible casement molding, it comes in a roll. I have never used it, but I assume it works fine once primed and painted. Not like that molding would get much abuse.

Local store here is Schutte Lumber in Kansas City, you can google for it. They might be able to tell you the manufacture, so you can try and locate a local dealer.