PDA

View Full Version : Wood In/Near Las Vegas

Ernie Kuhn
01-28-2004, 1:46 AM
I will be in Las Vegas on business shortly and am wondering if there are any specialty wood suppliers in the neighborhood e.g. turning blanks or....?
TIA
Ernie

Doug Keener
01-31-2004, 3:47 PM
I will be in Las Vegas on business shortly and am wondering if there are any specialty wood suppliers in the neighborhood e.g. turning blanks or....?
TIA
Ernie
Hi Ernie

I just got back from a vacation and you didn't say when you were comming. I hope you get this soon enough. Las Vegas, as far as I've found, is seriously lacking in suppliers of specialty woods. The only one I buy from is Austin Hardwoods located at 4245 West Sunset Rd. They don't have turning blanks, but do have a pretty good variety of different US and some non US wood varieties (Mahogany, Bubinga, Zebra etc). It depends a lot on when they get orders in and when I'm there.

It has always puzzled me that an area that is growing so fast would not have more suppliers. I've also thought that this would be an opportunity to persue, but it is difficult to access the need. Gettin' to old to stick my foot too far out the door I guess.

Doug

Michael Ballent
01-31-2004, 3:53 PM
TIA
Ernie

I believe that Ed Roman Guitars is there and they sell guitar body blanks. Could be used for turning platters and such. I was there just this last weekend and kept meaning to go visit that store, but SWMBO was not receptive to the idea ;)

-Michael

Ernie Kuhn
01-31-2004, 7:34 PM
Hi Ernie

I just got back from a vacation and you didn't say when you were comming. I hope you get this soon enough. Las Vegas, as far as I've found, is seriously lacking in suppliers of specialty woods. The only one I buy from is Austin Hardwoods located at 4245 West Sunset Rd. They don't have turning blanks, but do have a pretty good variety of different US and some non US wood varieties (Mahogany, Bubinga, Zebra etc). It depends a lot on when they get orders in and when I'm there.

It has always puzzled me that an area that is growing so fast would not have more suppliers. I've also thought that this would be an opportunity to persue, but it is difficult to access the need. Gettin' to old to stick my foot too far out the door I guess.

Doug

Doug,
I got your response in the nick of time as I am flying in around noon tomorrow (superbowl sunday) and will be there for a couple or three weeks. I appreciate the information and will go take a look at some point during my visit. I'll give them a call as I will be at work during daylight hours. Really appreciate the informatoin. My SWMBO has talked about starting a store in our area but.....I don't think there is enough demand to pay the bills. Again, thank you so much for the information.
ERnie

Ernie Kuhn
01-31-2004, 7:38 PM
I believe that Ed Roman Guitars is there and they sell guitar body blanks. Could be used for turning platters and such. I was there just this last weekend and kept meaning to go visit that store, but SWMBO was not receptive to the idea ;)

-Michael

Michael,
Thank you so much for the information. I'll be travelling solo since this is a business trip and if I can get enough time off, I will certainly go visit Ed Roman Guitars. I'll let you know what the results were and if you missed anything or not when I get back here (eastern Washington).
Thanks again for the information.
Ernie