PDA

View Full Version : Question for you turners out there...

Sam Chambers
01-28-2004, 12:06 AM
I've just received special double-secret budget variance from SWMBO the CFO, just in time for the Atlanta Woodworking Show this weekend. (It only happened because she is ordering a few hundred dollars worth of Longaberger baskets...she has her wood things, I have mine.) I'm thinking about a mini lathe, either the Jet or the Delta, probably.

I remember enough about 7th grade Industrial Arts class to know that I need sharp pointy things (I believe they're generically called "chisels") to go with the new spinning thing. I really don't want to go out and buy a set of tools that cost as much as the lathe, but I also don't want to get tools that are of such poor quality that I'll get turned off to the whole turning thing.

So, here's my question...Can someone recommend a brand of turning tools that are of decent quality that won't break the bank?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Becker
01-28-2004, 8:42 AM
Sorby, Hamlet, Crown and Packard Woodwork's house brand are all very nice quality at reasonable prices. Stick with HHS tools and don't buy sets or large numbers of them. You can start out with just a few basic tools...a parting tool, a 3/8" or 1/4" spindle gouge, a 3/8" or 1/4" bowl gouge, a 3/4" roughing gouge and a 1/2" round nose scraper. Anything else you find you need you can pick up at that point. Don't forget a full face shield and sharpening needs.

Richard Allen
01-28-2004, 8:59 AM
In addition to the sharp hunks of expensive steel you control with your hands you need something to sharpen them with. A grinder with a friable grinding wheel and some sort of jig is in order.

Safety is also an issue: face protection and dust protection.

Instruction should be considered. Woodturning is unlike other power tool woodworking activities.

Stop by the woodturning club booth and find out when and where they meet.

And you thought you were just going to get a mini-lathe?

Good Luck

Sam Chambers
01-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Jim. You're always a great source of information.

I've heard of most of the names you mentioned. And thanks for the advice re: buying sets of tools. Seems like every time I do that - like router bit sets - I end up with pieces that I never use.

I don't have a full face shield, but I remember that from 7th grade as well, and will pick one up if I decide to the lathe route.

Thanks again,

Sam Chambers
01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Richard.

Ol' Santa was kind enough to put a 6" Delta variable speed bench grinder under the tree last month. Of course, I have to learn to use it properly, but that's half the fun of getting new toys, isn't it?

I'll look into the jig options as well. The Wolverine looks nice, but the budget may not handle that one. We'll see.

This is why I like hanging around the Creek! Lots of friendly advice.

Thanks again.

Ray Dockrey
01-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Sam, This is what I did but goes a little against the grain. I bought a set of HSS tools from Harbor Freight. I still use the set and they have held up very well. It is a eight piece set and of pretty good quality for HF. I am sure they are a low grade HSS, but they are HSS and they seem to keep an edge pretty good. They are also thirty dollars. The reason I suggest them is sharpening takes some learning and if you mess up a tool you don't have much invested. On the jig, I bought a book on turning that showed sharpening techniques freehand and learned that way. Sometimes they weren't pretty, but they worked. I did buy the Wolverine system after about three months and it is well worth the money. It allows a consistent edge and cuts sharpening time down a whole lot. I find myself sharpening more often. I hope this helps and good luck to you. Also, be aware. Turning is highly addictive. You will see what I mean once you get started.

Bill Grumbine
01-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi Sam

I would say for your choice of mini lathe, get the Jet. As far as tools go, what you want to turn sort of determines what tools to buy. If you are going to do bowls, all you need is a bowl gouge, a scraper, and a parting tool to start. For a mini lathe I would not recommend anything larger than a 3/8" bowl gouge, or you will be disappointed in the way you keep stalling the lathe. You can add to these tools as the need arises. If you are primarily interested in spindle work, a roughing gouge, a spindle gouge, a parting tool, and a skew chisel are a good starting point. If that is breaking the budget, leave out the roughing gouge. A skew does a great job of roughing a square to round once you get the hang of it.

Earlier on this month a student of mine brought the fabled Harbor Freight set along with him to class. It was the first time I ever laid eyes on it, even after years of hearing about it. I was impressed with the quality of the set overall. The bowl gouge is more of a deep spindle gouge and not really a bowl gouge in the sense of the current offerings, but it will get the job done. I would still recommend a regular bowl gouge if you go the Harbor Freight route. The rest of the set was decently made. The handles aren't the greatest, but that is easy enough to change.

Good luck with it, and have fun with your new lathe.

Bill

Scott Coffelt
01-28-2004, 11:52 AM
I've just received special double-secret budget variance from SWMBO the CFO, just in time for the Atlanta Woodworking Show this weekend. (It only happened because she is ordering a few hundred dollars worth of Longaberger baskets...she has her wood things, I have mine.) I'm thinking about a mini lathe, either the Jet or the Delta, probably.

I remember enough about 7th grade Industrial Arts class to know that I need sharp pointy things (I believe they're generically called "chisels") to go with the new spinning thing. I really don't want to go out and buy a set of tools that cost as much as the lathe, but I also don't want to get tools that are of such poor quality that I'll get turned off to the whole turning thing.

So, here's my question...Can someone recommend a brand of turning tools that are of decent quality that won't break the bank?

Thanks in advance,

I went the route of I am not sure what I need, so I bought a set by Delta for $70 from HD. I find that I have used all at some point or another. They are decent quality and I am at a point where I plan to buy a set from Crown or Sorby, they have about the same tools in the set as I use today. I agree it also allowed me to learn about sharpening with no reall $$'s out the door for mistakes. In all, I bent one tool and can not use it, but the resy are fine. I planned to buy the ones I needed individually, but found the 8 piece sets had all the tools I used cheaper then individual. I still need to add others, but it starts me in the right direction.

Sam Chambers
01-28-2004, 8:57 PM
Ray, Bill & Scott:

Thanks for the advice guys. I had looked at the Harbor Freight web site, but figured their stuff might be too cheap to bother with. Sounds like it'd be a good place to start.

Thanks again! I'll let you know what I end up with.

John Shuk
01-28-2004, 9:32 PM
I too have the set of HSS tools from Harbor Freight. Penn State Industries has the exact same set for about $80.00 I paid $29.99. My thoughts are this. My first set of tools is not going to be my last, it gets me going easily, I don't care too much if I have a mishap. I have been using them and I am very happy with how they perform and hold an edge. I have supplemented with better individual tools here and there but the skew they provide is pretty nice I think. It is $30.00 well spent I say. Just make sure you clean the coating of varnish they put on as protectant with mineral spirits or something. I found that if you don't as you turn it can heat up enough to get tacky and the shavings don't clear as well. Good Luck.
john

Jim Becker
01-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Just something to think about when you are looking at these sets...is the size of the tools in the set appropriate for the kind of work to be done and the size of the lathe in question? Many sets have tools too large, especially for beginners and those working on a mini-lathe. There is a huge difference in workability between a 1/2" spindle gouge and a 1/4" or 3/8" spindle gouge. Using a tool inappropriate in size for the job at hand can be quite frustrating.

I'm not saying that the sets in question are the wrong size because I don't know that...but you need to consider the point when you are making the purchase decision.

Dale Thompson
01-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Sam,
If you are going with a mini, go with the Jet VS. It's a dandy. For $30, the Harbor Freight tool set is a "steal". My home lathe is a PM 3520 but Santa got me a Jet VS mini for the cabin. I want to work with some of the kids up there and try to get them interested in turning and other woodworking projects. My home tools are the typical "big" names but the Harbor Freight set looks like a perfect supplement for the cabin. I'm sure that they will be butchered on the grinder, dropped on the concrete floor and otherwise subjected to the youthful learning curve. So what? In fact, on second thought, I thing that I am going to order ANOTHER set! :) Then again, maybe not. The neighbor kids and grandkids are required to have "adult" supervision. Nobody up there considers me to be an adult so I don't qualify. However, they all know that if they mess up my electronic dart board, slot machine, 20' x 8' slot car track, saw blades, router bits, etc., ...

Dale T.

Kent Cori
01-29-2004, 9:54 AM
Sam,

I echo Ray's and Dale's advice. The HF HSS set is an outstanding value and a great place to start. It is also a good way to learn the necessary sharpening skills with next to no monetary risk if you do make a mistake. I still use all eight tools at various times although I reground the vee shaped scraper to a flat shaped one. I have a home made version of the Wolverine system and strongly recommend it or the real McCoy.

I've added tools as I've gone along. The HF set is good for spindles but has no bowl gouges. I bought a Crown Ellsworth Signature bowl gouge and a Taylor made Raffan designed bowl scraper. I consider both to be one of my best tool investments. I also added a Hamlet 1/2" spindle gouge that I use for pens and a Sorby 3/4" oval skew. All these tools are excellent quality although I personally don't like the Sorby handle shape. This is just a personal preference and many others will have different opinions. One of these days, I'll just replace the handle.

Then of course you'll quickly want a VS or slow speed grinder, chuck, some extra live centers, a drill chuck... The good thing is you'll never have any more trouble coming up with gift suggestions for your birtday and Christmas. :D

Arvin Brown
01-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Try this -

www.pennstateind.com

Benjamin's Best 3 pc. HSS Pen Turning Chisel Set

Code: LCPM3
Price: $39.95

Jim Becker
01-29-2004, 1:32 PM
Try this -

www.pennstateind.com

Benjamin's Best 3 pc. HSS Pen Turning Chisel Set

Code: LCPM3
Price: $39.95

OK, this is a good one...the only set I ever bought that I'd recommend again. The parting tool gets a lot of use and the gouge, although deep fluted, gets tasked for a lot for details on smaller turnings in my shop. When I turned pens, I also used the skew, although I'm not really a skew-person!

Steve Inniss
01-29-2004, 3:41 PM
Sam,
Lots of great advice here I won't repeat. I echo Bill's statement that you should consider the type of work that you are contemplating. Carefully consider the skew advice though - instruction is in order. Skew chisels give world class catches when you are beginning, but there's nothing like them for efficiency on a lot of work.
I would not get a set myself, but the 2 or perhaps 3 turning tools that are required for what you want to make. Browse a bookstore for turning books and get the tools sizes recommended. You can just buy one and make lots of shavings.
Also, if I was going to start again I would look at Patience & Nicholson (P&N), now available at Lee Valley. I have seldom been satisfied with the handles supplied on tools - especially those in a set. These come without handles and you can make your own, which is pretty easy.
Of course you need one with a handle to make the handle...