PDA

View Full Version : JP combos?

nick brigg
08-29-2007, 6:00 PM
is it just me or i cant get anything that remotely resembles a Inca 570 type combo machine?? the minimax/hammer/whatever machines are just way too expensive. im just way too limited on space to get 2 separate machines. i know jet is coming out with a big boy combo type machines clone, but im in montreal and last time i checked jet or grizzly do not sell in canada...unless im wrong.

anyone out there know of any other jointer/planer combos besides the big european behemoths that are popular these days?

Brad Olson
08-29-2007, 6:15 PM
Rikon was welling a Inca J/P combo clone. Almost identical, but they may not be selling it anymore.

Dave Sabo
08-29-2007, 6:59 PM
Not sure what you are considering "expensive", everyone's threshold is different. The INCA stuff is high quality Swiss or French made kit and was/is not inexpensive to begin with. I think the J/P was close to 2 grand last time I saw it at Garrett Wade. That was close to 10 yrs ago. For that much now you can get Papa's minimax knock off that is really beefy looking. The INCA combos come up on eBay several times a year for about a grand, + shipping. There's also a yahoo group where they're traded freq.

nick brigg
08-29-2007, 7:02 PM
the european combos go for about 5000-6000 here. yyeeeeouch! there must be something else!

and whats this..papa's minimax knock off?

Mike Heidrick
08-29-2007, 7:11 PM
Grizzly G0634 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0634)

Looks awesome but I went seperate Delta DJ30 and DC580 myself.

nick brigg
08-29-2007, 7:49 PM
yeah, the grizz looks great, even has a spiral head...too bad they dont sell in canada!

Marc Gélinas
08-29-2007, 8:57 PM
Hi Nick,
I'm also in the Montreal area and have been looking at different machinery for some time, I'm afraid I can't help much yet cause I haven't found anything substantially cheaper than the European machines (as far as combos are concerned). However if I should find anything as I shop around I'll be glad to let you know if I find anything.

nick brigg
08-29-2007, 9:47 PM
I'd love that! i've been hunting for the better part of the day and cant find anything!

Hi Nick,
I'm also in the Montreal area and have been looking at different machinery for some time, I'm afraid I can't help much yet cause I haven't found anything substantially cheaper than the European machines (as far as combos are concerned). However if I should find anything as I shop around I'll be glad to let you know if I find anything.

Curt Harms
08-30-2007, 2:22 AM
Rikon was welling a Inca J/P combo clone. Almost identical, but they may not be selling it anymore.
Is supposed to be working on a replacement jointer/planer combo but I haven't heard anything about availability except "maybe either this fall or next fall". I don't know if Rikon is available in Canada or not. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Curt

nick brigg
08-30-2007, 2:28 AM
i know that rikon does not ship to canada. it seems like us kanuks get screwed when it comes to super cool tools :mad:

Joe Jensen
08-30-2007, 2:51 AM
i know that rikon does not ship to canada. it seems like us kanuks get screwed when it comes to super cool tools :mad:

Is it possible to have a RIkon or Grizzly shipped to a terminal across the border and bring it in yourself?

sascha gast
08-30-2007, 2:55 AM
Jet has one coming out, doe they sell to Canada??

Wilbur Pan
08-30-2007, 9:25 AM
Is supposed to be working on a replacement jointer/planer combo but I haven't heard anything about availability except "maybe either this fall or next fall".
The replacement Rikon is going to be a cast iron bed 12" model much like the new Jet and Grizzly models.

I've got the 10" Rikon jointer/planer that matches the Inca 570 in capacity, if not completely in design. I just love this machine. Unfortunately, it's not being made anymore.

I do agree that the 10" jointer/planer combo machine should be more popular than it is here in the U.S. $650 for a 10" jointing capacity just can't be beat. In Europe and the U.K., everyone and his brother makes a version of this machine -- even "American" brands like Dewalt. Perhaps if there weren't so many postings on woodworking forums about how the beds are "too short" :rolleyes: by folks who never tried it out, this would have been a more popular machine.

Jim Becker
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Nic, the MM FS30 goes for a "reasonable" amount as does the similar Hammer. Both I would think would be available in Canada and both receved very nice reviews. When you consider the machines they effectively replace, the investment is worth considering.

Art Mulder
08-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Nick,
You could try calling Federated Tool (http://www.federatedtool.com/) here in London Ontario. They carry some of this high end stuff. (minimax or one of the others) I saw a J/P there and don't think it was at the $5k level.

...art

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I got the Hammer 12" J/P and I like it rather a lot.

John Gornall
08-30-2007, 3:01 PM
Laguna ships to Canada each month, one shipment to Vancouver, and one shipment to Toronto. There is no charge for this shipping and they take care of the border paperwork. You just pick up at the shipping warehouse or have it forwarded.

nick brigg
08-30-2007, 4:56 PM
im checking out the Rojek msp 310 i think it was. no frills and an optional tersa head. the beds dont even flip up! has anyone seen or played with this model?

Scot Ferraro
08-30-2007, 7:19 PM
FWW did a review of these earlier this year that you might want to check out. I just ordered a Hammer and it was reasonable considering the price of separates...that wide jointer will be sweet...I just have to wait for the long shipping time!

Good luck!

Scot

Jim Becker
08-30-2007, 7:23 PM
I believe the Rojek was in the FWW review. Very basic machine, but functional. It was not their "favorite", however.

Dave Sabo
08-30-2007, 7:53 PM
At 1800 bucks USD, the non spiral head Grizzly is attractive. Do like Joe suggests and ship it to a termianl in the U.S. and go collect it.

Jim Becker
08-30-2007, 8:01 PM
That's certainly a way to aquire the Grizzly tool for use in Canada, but I suspect there may be warranty issues, etc. That certainly need to be verified before the money would be plunked down. My choice would be to invest in a tool that is available and servicable in-country...

Dave Novak
10-26-2007, 11:48 AM
After reading Frank Martin's review of the G0634, I'm hot on the path of buying one of these jointer/planer combos. I've been torn between the Minimax and the General, but have been leaning towards the Genaral because of the lower cost, the cutter head, and Frank's positive review. However, I just discovered that Laguna recently came out with a 12" combo, and because I love my 16HD bandsaw so much, I just have to throw it into the mix. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular machine?

Rod Sheridan
10-26-2007, 1:25 PM
try looking up a Rojek dealer in your area.

Dave Novak
10-26-2007, 1:28 PM
try looking up a Rojek dealer in your area.
The same Rojek that was reviewed by FWW? they didn't like that machine much. Thanks!

nick brigg
10-26-2007, 4:10 PM
woah General is making a J/P combo? or are you talking about Grizzly?
No experience with Laguna but i did just order the Hammer J/P combo, they just recently started up in Canada and the price was just too sweet to give up, maybe check out Hammer!

After reading Frank Martin's review of the G0634, I'm hot on the path of buying one of these jointer/planer combos. I've been torn between the Minimax and the General, but have been leaning towards the Genaral because of the lower cost, the cutter head, and Frank's positive review. However, I just discovered that Laguna recently came out with a 12" combo, and because I love my 16HD bandsaw so much, I just have to throw it into the mix. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular machine?

Dave Novak
10-26-2007, 4:12 PM
I meant Griz. My bad, maybe just wishful thinking.

Eddie Darby
10-26-2007, 4:34 PM
It is possible that Jet tools just don't have a retail outlet in Quebec.

I have run into these guys selling Jet products at the Ottawa Woodshow.

http://www.ottawafastenersupply.com/

Ottawa Show this year:

http://www.woodshows.com/index.php?categoryid=10&s=&