PDA

View Full Version : Here's the other Laser Warning Sign I promised..

Bill Cunningham
08-29-2007, 5:32 PM
This one is also stuck to the control panel of my machine, just to keep the wandering fingers away :D (It's in Ver.8 so everybody can have it)

Todd Fulton
08-29-2007, 5:44 PM
I put it in Google Translate and it made no sense.

When I read it, it reminds me of Harvey Korman and Tim Conway speaking German on the Carol Burnett Show.

Great label for sure to have.

Eric Allen
08-30-2007, 2:39 PM
That one is great!:D Many thanks for the laugh...gets me out of that engineering mode for a minute:)

Bill Cunningham
08-30-2007, 8:36 PM
Before I got the laser, I used to have a cardboard one stuck to my Ham Radio Transmitter and RTTY machine.. Any thing that has 'blinkin' lights :D

Al Mutairi
08-31-2007, 8:09 AM
Before I got the laser, I used to have a cardboard one stuck to my Ham Radio Transmitter and RTTY machine.. Any thing that has 'blinkin' lights :D

Bill , In my case , English is an aquired language , it took some time to figure out what that English/German writting was about !!! :D

Regards,

de ----. -.- ..--- ..- -... :)

AL Ursich
08-31-2007, 8:19 PM
In my Navy Days I saw it on a Navy Analog Gun Fire Control Computer..... Showing my age.... Started fixing them in 1977......

Thanks !!!!

AL

Bill Cunningham
09-02-2007, 10:30 PM
In my Navy Days I saw it on a Navy Analog Gun Fire Control Computer..... Showing my age.... Started fixing them in 1977......

Thanks !!!!

AL

Yup!!! I got it about 20 years ago from a buddy in the Canadian AirForce.. It's probably been floating around since WWII :D

Stephen Beckham
09-03-2007, 7:49 PM
Hey Al - is that a UNIVAC? I saw something like that in the Smithonian...

I guess next you're going to tell us you learned to program your laser with a punch card...:D

Frank Corker
09-03-2007, 8:19 PM
Nope it's one of those new fangled chinese micro computers. Very clever they are

Scott M Smith
07-28-2010, 9:51 PM
Wow. I sure don't miss wearing dungarees!

Randy Digby
07-29-2010, 7:49 AM
We had it posted on a tape driven CNC milling machine in the shop when I went to Mechanical Engineering Tech school in 1968. Thanks for bringing back old memories.

...and...

"Lift Your Eyes Up To The Sky - Naval Air Is Passing By"

de KI4NWE (never learned code - too dumb)

Larry Bratton
07-29-2010, 9:15 AM
Good one! Printing that on Phototex today for application to der lasermachin

John Noell
07-29-2010, 3:35 PM
Hey Al - is that a UNIVAC? I saw something like that in the Smithonian...

I guess next you're going to tell us you learned to program your laser with a punch card...:DAs one of the geezers around here, I did coding with thousands of punch cards but moving to a CRT terminal and writing octal code for a PDP-11 was a real "highlight" of my checkered carreer(s). I do NOT miss the 'good ole days'!

Steven Wallace
07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
I actually didn't mind wearing dungarees. However, I retired after the first four years.:D

I remember the first computer language I learned was Fortan.:cool: I hated punch cards and having to wait your turn to run your university computer.

Since I have a day job at Intel building surf boards... how else can you surf the web without one of our surf boards (micro-processors). I even remember when the closest thing to a floppy drive was a tape drive. I even have memories of the platters (12") crashing and losing all that data.:mad:

Yes I am that old!:)

Andrea Weissenseel
07-30-2010, 3:06 AM
Oh my gosh - *ROFL*

thanks for a good laugh in the morning. That reminds me of Gayle Tufts, she was a couple times in a show on TV and she speaks Denglish

Cheers, Andrea

Larry Allred
10-29-2010, 12:59 AM
That was great! I'll have to put it next to my warning sign that says "do not look into laser with remaining eye."

Jeff Belany
10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I also remember punch cards and turning them in at the University computer main frame to be run. They would give you a number and you could call and see if your program had been run. Also remember standing with my relatively small stack of punch cards and seeing upper classmen turning in trays of cards to be run -- couldn't imagine it!! And on top of that, if you made ANY small error in spelling or syntax the whole program would fail to run and the computer wouldn't even give you a clue where the error was -- just failed. Very frustrating.

Another blast fromt he past -- at the same university I worked in a lab making videos -- using 2" open reel video tape decks!! BTW -- the 'portable' decks we had used 1" open reel video machines. Quite a load to haul.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Dan Hintz
10-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Jeff,

Don't forget about the horror on people's face when the tech behind the counter tripped and spilled the card deck, requiring a multi-hour long reshuffling session.

Joe Paul
10-29-2010, 2:14 PM
I have a photo in an old album somewhere of my Father sitting in his B-24 bomber in Italy in WWII with this sign posted just above his head. He had that sign framed and in his shop for many years afterward. I wish I knew where it ended up. Thanks for the memories and the wording. I'm going to recreate it and it will have a place of honor in my shop from now on.

JP

Bill Cunningham
10-30-2010, 9:05 PM
Jeff,

Don't forget about the horror on people's face when the tech behind the counter tripped and spilled the card deck, requiring a multi-hour long reshuffling session.

Never had the pleasure of punch cards, I got into small computers with the Altair, and H-8.. The Altair was just binary switches and a button, but the H8 was Octal.. The start code has been burned into my mind to the extent that I still remember it 35 years later 040100 (go) :D Then, they brought out Benton Harbor Basic.. hahahah.. Moved on to compiled basic in the early 80's, then C in the mid 80's and got to the point where I had good enough hand crafted C libraries that could do running translations from my old G-Wiz Basic to C on the fly..
I wrote the first Ham radio Packet bulletin board in Canada, designed to be used with the AX.25 protocol. Haven't been anywhere near packet radio in the last 20 years, don't even know if it's still a viable communication system..