PDA

View Full Version : Got some free advertising

Marc Casebolt
08-29-2007, 4:17 PM
About a month ago I posted about a desk that we made.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?=61807

The MIDI keyboard is made by a German company called Doepfer, it's a model PK88.

I went to their website and emailed them some pics just for the heck of it.
Two days later I got an email from the founder of the company, Dieter Doepfer. He said he really digs the piece, and asks if he can put the pics on his website.

Well sure you can.

You can see the pics by going to http://www.doepfer.com

Click on English, Products, then PK88.

I guess what a I'm saying is that you never know who will help you out. If you make something that incorporates another product, be sure to send the maker some pictures.

We have allready gotten one response in a week, so it was worth the effort, and may result in more business.

Thanks, Marc

Ed Falis
08-29-2007, 5:05 PM
Real nice piece, Marc. And I agree with you: you just never know who might help you out.

Of course, in this case, your work is making theirs look good.

- Ed

Hank Knight
08-29-2007, 9:34 PM
Nice score Marc. I'm not surprised the piece got their attention. It's very well done. Hope you get some busines from it.

Hank

Brian Weick
08-29-2007, 9:54 PM
Mark,
I used to play keyboards , still can and i have to tell you that is the most beautifully work station for a keyboardists that I have ever seen-! One question- does the keyboard slide through to reveal the keys leaving everything else under the shell of the desk- ??? If that is the case you can actually buy a keyboard controller 64 keys or whatever size you want and but a control module (sound modular) to have access on the front of the work station front open panels. You could do this as well with keyboards that have the sound module and controls built into the top panel of the keyboard- possibly sliding in and out on side run ball bearing door sleeves- the options are the Sky's limit with this one- Great work and what a great idea! I know there out there- but to be honest- go to any music store and guess what ~ " we have this really nice universal rugged stand for the keyboard" and the individual buying the keyboard says " I do studio recording at my home, studio, and am looking to have the keyboard near my computer and my sound system" ~ that's where your idea comes in! It's perfect! - they don't sell anything that has any character at the music stores- what an impression that would make. Something for you to think about- you should take that to your local music stores that sell keyboards (professional equipment) I am absolutely positive your work station will sell! Absolutely positive about that! Very nice craftsmanship and an exceptional marketing platform to work off! thumbs up-Way up Marc!

Marc Casebolt
08-30-2007, 2:14 PM
Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Brian,
The keyboard was supplied by the customer, and has no electronics internal to it. Just a wall wart power supply, and two parallel MIDI outs if I remember correctly. You are right that the workstations available anywhere I've seen look like so much industrial crap. That's no problem if that's your thing, but I agree that there could be a market for a well designed furniture quality workstation. As a sound dept. engineer for one of the big Hollywood studios for ~20 years, I am aware of the needs and requirements for this type of thing. I designed this desk around the keyboard, and a loose idea about the general shape of the top. When thing get slow I might build a prototype station that would be more affordable that this one, but we are not looking to produce a "line" of products. Then again, you never know.

Marc

Mike Spanbauer
08-30-2007, 2:29 PM
Forgive me if I overlooked it, but how many hours did the unit take from design to completion?

Sharp looking unit! I play keyboards as well, but the setup isn't nearly as graceful or functional as this one. You could even have a dual monitor setup on top (what I use) and it would still look graceful with black frames.

Wow, simply a very eye pleasing solution!

mike

Marc Casebolt
08-30-2007, 2:46 PM
Mike,
This desk took a long time to complete. There were other things going on at the same time, so it was not a full time effort. We (my son and I) did not keep track of our time (hours), but the whole thing took a few months. I went through a few design changes with the customer till we got that nailed down, and that back and forth process took a bit of time too.

Marc Casebolt
08-30-2007, 2:59 PM
The new owner uses two monitors. The equipment in the pics are just props to kind of show it off.

David DeCristoforo
08-30-2007, 3:07 PM
Marc
That keyboard "desk" is the "coolest" piece of woodwork I have seen in years. I'm glad you are getting some attention for it.

Brian Weick
08-30-2007, 6:42 PM
Marc,
You may have somthing- I think you bith did a great job!
Brian