PDA

View Full Version : Motor problem on 2hp Baldor

John Miliunas
01-27-2004, 10:37 PM
So, I'm about 90% of the way through my W&H restoration. Today, I decided it's about time to test the motor. Hrmph! Not good. She tried to spin up, but just couldn't do it. The lights dimmed and it finally kicked the breaker. I checked and double-checked all the connection and they look good. The motor spins freely (by hand, of course) and I don't notice any bearing noise or slop. I finally pulled the cover off the capacitor. Icko-yucko! Yup, all grodey and obviously had leaked. Here's my question: This is a 2hp, 220v motor (though I believe it could be wired for 110). Some of the numbers at the very end on the capacitor I can't quite make out. What I *could* make out, though, was that it said: 110-125VAC. Huh? Is that what it's supposed to show, even though the motor is wired for 220v? I've done a lot of my own house wiring, but know very little about motors. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

Bob Lasley
01-28-2004, 10:48 AM
John,

The start capacitor is only on one leg of the 220, so a 110-125 volt capacitor is what you need. The other thing you need to know is how many microfarads (mfd) the capacitor is rated for.

Bob

Mark Singer
01-28-2004, 10:58 AM
I think BoB is correct, For 220 you need both legs and the neutral. The location of the legs can be switched....this wasn't from LT's? Just kidding?

Esteban Lamadrid
01-28-2004, 12:59 PM
115 volts could be ok. Aside from voltage rating, you will also have the capacitor rating labeled MFD or uf with a range like, 145- 174 or 216-259. These are the minimum and maximum values. So the markings can look like 216- 259 MFD 110-125 VAC 50/60HZ.

John Miliunas
01-28-2004, 1:01 PM
Thanks Bob! I did check with a local electric motor repair place and they have a cap, which although isn't the exact mf range, they say it should be close enough, as it overlaps the majority of the range. I hope they're right. It's only 9 bucks, so if it doesn't work, I'm not out a whole lot. Stangely enough, they didn't have a DPST switch, that I still need!

No Mark, NOT from LT! THAT problem isn't "scheduled" until later down the road. <G> :cool:

John Miliunas
01-28-2004, 1:05 PM
115 volts could be ok. Aside from voltage rating, you will also have the capacitor rating labeled MFD or uf with a range like, 145- 174 or 216-259. These are the minimum and maximum values. So the markings can look like 216- 259 MFD 110-125 VAC 50/60HZ.

Thanks Esteban. I guess I was posting a "reply" at nearly the exact same time you posted.

I see you're "new" here! A BIG SMC WELCOME to you! As you may have already gathered, lots of questions AND answers to be had here at the Creek. Loads of great people to interact and share questions/answers with. Come often and stay long! :cool:

Larry Browning
01-28-2004, 1:34 PM
Thanks Bob! I did check with a local electric motor repair place and they have a cap, which although isn't the exact mf range, they say it should be close enough, as it overlaps the majority of the range. I hope they're right. It's only 9 bucks, so if it doesn't work, I'm not out a whole lot. Stangely enough, they didn't have a DPST switch, that I still need!

No Mark, NOT from LT! THAT problem isn't "scheduled" until later down the road. <G> :cool:

John,
I noticed that you said this was a Baldor motor. I work for Baldor here in Fort Smith, AR. Even though I am a lowly computer programmer, I know most of the engineering staff here and I have access to everything there is to know about our motors. If you would send me the catalog or spec number from the nameplate I could get you more info than you would ever need on that puppy. I could also hook you up with one of the engineers that could give you technical assistance.

By the way, what the H-E-double hockey sticks is a W&H!!!! And why would it need a 2hp Baldor motor???

Larry

John Miliunas
01-28-2004, 1:45 PM
John,
I noticed that you said this was a Baldor motor. I work for Baldor here in Fort Smith, AR. Even though I am a lowly computer programmer, I know most of the engineering staff here and I have access to everything there is to know about our motors. If you would send me the catalog or spec number from the nameplate I could get you more info than you would ever need on that puppy. I could also hook you up with one of the engineers that could give you technical assistance.

By the way, what the H-E-double hockey sticks is a W&H!!!! And why would it need a 2hp Baldor motor???

Larry

Hey Larry, very much appreciate the offer! I think I have a handle on it now, but if my local motor service dude doesn't come through, I'll be taking you up on that offer!

A W&H is short for Williams & Hussey. They manufacture (and have done so since 1955) a real nice piece of equipment in the form of a molder/planer. I'm not entirely sure that *anyone* uses the planer function of it, as it only has 7" capacity (I think). BUT, the molder functionality is highly recognized on many woodworking fronts. This particluar unit came to me in very rough shape, but the price was right: Free! I note that the whole setup like the one I was gifted, is currently right around $1900.00 big ones! There are actually a couple threads on the acquisition and the restore process floating around here at SMC, if you care to take a peek. Thanks again! :cool: