PDA

View Full Version : First Jointer Purchase

Dwain Lambrigger
08-29-2007, 2:47 PM
I am comtemplating purchasing a used jointer. I have been looking on Craigslist, and all over and have found two that interest me.

1) A jet 6" with a cabinet base. It is an "anniversary edition" whatever that means. Seller has an extra set of blade, but the tables have surface rust due to lack of use. Asking $250.

2) A Ridgid 6" jointer on a stand. This looks pretty new, and in good shape. Extra blades are included, and he wants $275.

I am not worried about sanding down tables, but generally, apples to apples, would I be better off buying a jet over a ridgid if they were in identical condition? I am not mechanically inclined, but can do the basic stuff. I am looking for your opinions here, which way to go?

Thanks for any advice you give.

scott spencer
08-29-2007, 3:07 PM
The jointer portion of those two machines is about identical and should perform comparably. Some of the older Ridgid's had an enclosed base, but the newer ones are on an open stand. Typically an enclosed base has some DC advantages, but it's a pretty small issues. A closed base is also easier to put on a mobile base, but is also a small issue. Surface rust is easily removed...pitting is more serious. Check the fence and tables for flatness and check that the tables are coplaner to each other. Rotate the cutterhead and listen to the bearings. Check the wheels and/or levers to see that they're smooth.

Either should serve you well, so look at both, and make an informed decision based on what you see.

Jason Beam
08-29-2007, 3:25 PM
They're both pretty similar. I think the only "major" factors between the two I'd look into are horsepower, overall bed length and fence size. All else being equal, those three factors would be my main deciders if they're in relatively nice shape.

Kent Fitzgerald
08-29-2007, 8:37 PM
If you're anywhere near a Grizzly location, I'd say spend a 35 bucks more and get a G0452 on sale for $310.

Dwain Lambrigger
08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks Kent, I would do that, but I am in Phoenix AZ. No Grizzly out here.