PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your band saw blades?

John Myers
08-29-2007, 1:31 PM
I recently got an 18" band saw. Storing blades that aren't coiled up is rather ungainly, and storing a 158" blade uncoiled is a bit of a problem, since I don't have much free wall space in my shop as it is.

My question, does storing a blade coiled up over long periods of time have any detrimental effect to the blade? The 3-coiled blades store so much easier.

John

Gary Keedwell
08-29-2007, 1:41 PM
I recently got an 18" band saw. Storing blades that aren't coiled up is rather ungainly, and storing a 158" blade uncoiled is a bit of a problem, since I don't have much free wall space in my shop as it is.

My question, does storing a blade coiled up over long periods of time have any detrimental effect to the blade? The 3-coiled blades store so much easier.

John
I don't think so , John. I have stored mine that way for years without any effect.
Gary K.

Jason Beam
08-29-2007, 2:41 PM
Agreed - I don't think there's any ill effect to having 'em coiled and hanging. The only thing I try to watch for is movement - I do try to avoid jumbling them up much since the teeth are exposed and the blades can rub on one another.

I don't think they're under much stress when coiled up, either. Though I'm only basing that on the fact that they don't want to uncoil by themselves. I get the (perhaps mistaken) impression that they're in a fully rested state because of that.

Hank Knight
08-29-2007, 2:49 PM
I agree too. I've stored my blades coiled for years with no bad effects. I put the 3-coil blades in large zip lock bags with a new sheet of rust-inhibitor paper and zip the bags shut. I hang them from nails in the ceiling joists of my shop. No rust, no worry and out of the way.

Gary Keedwell
08-29-2007, 3:10 PM
I agree too. I've stored my blades coiled for years with no bad effects. I put the 3-coil blades in large zip lock bags with a new sheet of rust-inhibitor paper and zip the bags shut. I hang them from nails in the ceiling joists of my shop. No rust, no worry and out of the way.
Hank...Please tell me more about your "rust-inhibitor paper". I know I've seen it but where do you purchase it?:confused:

Gary K.:)

Jason Beam
08-29-2007, 3:27 PM
Hank...Please tell me more about your "rust-inhibitor paper". I know I've seen it but where do you purchase it?:confused:

Ooh .. me, too! Me, too!

David DeCristoforo
08-29-2007, 3:34 PM
As said, no problems with storing blades in this manner. But just be careful when you "open" the coiled blade. They can "spring open" with enough "force" to "bite" you and longer and/or wider blades are more prone to this. Not likely to take anything off but you can get a good nip if you are careless....

Jason Beam
08-29-2007, 5:01 PM
As said, no problems with storing blades in this manner. But just be careful when you "open" the coiled blade. They can "spring open" with enough "force" to "bite" you and longer and/or wider blades are more prone to this. Not likely to take anything off but you can get a good nip if you are careless....

Good advice - i forgot to mention how i open mine: In the grass! Just fling 'em. :P

Make sure the grass is dry, though! DAMHIKT!!! :eek:

glenn bradley
08-29-2007, 5:09 PM
I do the three loop deal and capture (not pinch) the blade in an extra large binder clip:

This prevents them from springing open and gives me something to hang them by as well (pic is upside down for this purpose).

Hank Knight
08-29-2007, 9:27 PM

I can't remember the commercial name of the stuff, but I got a package from Brookstone (of all places) years ago. I keep it in it's own airtight zip loc bag so it won't gas off all of it's rust inhibitor. If I'm not mistaken, Lie-Nielsen wraps their products in it for shipment and I believe you can get it from them. I'm sure it's available elsewhere, but I haven't bought any in a long time so I'm not up on where else to get it.

Hank

Dennis Peacock
08-29-2007, 9:30 PM

LOL!!!! Sounds like the voice of experience speaking here. ;)

Good one Jason!!

Roger Bell
08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I store mine on nails that are placed "way high up" and out of the way. Usually coiled, but not always.

John Myers
08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Great! I was hoping the consensus would be coil/3-loop. Thank you all for replying, and for the tips. I like that rust inhibitor/Zip-lock bag idea.

John

Tom Veatch
08-29-2007, 11:23 PM

Google for VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) paper.

When I was active duty in the Marine Corps (longer ago than I care to think about), new rifles were shipped from the armory wrapped in VCI paper. Sure beat cosmoline!

Gary Keedwell
08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Google for VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) paper.

When I was active duty in the Marine Corps (longer ago than I care to think about), new rifles were shipped from the armory wrapped in VCI paper. Sure beat cosmoline!
` Tom, thanks for the "heads up." I googled it and was amazed at the sites. Gonna look tomorrow when I have more time.

Gary K....(old Army guy):)

James Suzda
08-30-2007, 8:17 AM
Good advice - i forgot to mention how i open mine: In the grass! Just fling 'em. :P

Or during Wisconsin winters when the grass is covered with 3 foot of snow! :p

Jim

Ken Glass
08-30-2007, 12:20 PM
John, I like to keep my band saw blades handy where I can get to them. I use the 3 coil method and built this holder for the wall near my saw. I will hold 2-3 in each bin. I usually twist tie the blades, and as you can see they fit snug with a tapered box, so they stay put.
Regards, Ken

Steve Clardy
08-30-2007, 4:12 PM
I always coil mine.

Roger Newby
08-30-2007, 7:25 PM
For the longer ones (120" or more you can do 5 coils and take up less space.

George Summers
08-30-2007, 7:54 PM

Bull Frog Rust Inhibitor

http://www.bull-frog.com/

George

Jim Becker
08-30-2007, 8:02 PM
I hang them on the wall (up high on the wall, too... ;) )...coiled.