PDA

View Full Version : Remediation

Mike Cutler
08-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey folks. I'm looking for some good books, and or videos on lathe work, and technique, tools etc.. Any advice on lathe selection would be appreciated also. There's a lot out there, and I know nothing about what's available.

A long time ago, in a life far far away, I was schooled on the lathe, but it's been over 30 years since I last touched one. I'm kinda hoping for the bicycle effect. Once you learn it, comes back quick, but I'm not planning on it.;)

Specific immediate projects are some architectural columns, and some pedestal bases for antiques. Metal work will also be integrated into the projects at a later time.

TIA folks.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Mike......There are several good books and videos out there. That's how I've learned so far...

Books: Wood Turning - A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley.....excellent book ..well illustrated and has a set of progressive projects.

Videos:

Turned Bowls Made Easy by Bill Grumbine...excellent ...He also has a new one out

Any of the Richard Raffan videos....Turning Wood......Turning Boxes.....

PSI has a "free" basic pen turning video you can order and mine came with a $10 off coupon to use on my first order.

Pat Doble
08-29-2007, 3:15 PM
I'll second the Keith Rowley book Ken mentioned. Very instructive and well done.
I also have the Grumbine video, a Raffan video and a couple Raffan books - they are also good and helpful, but the I feel the Rowley book has been by far the best informational purchase I've made.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2007, 8:05 PM
One I would add would be Alan Lacer's "The Skew Chisel". Excellent for learning the skew.

RL Johnson
08-29-2007, 9:33 PM
The three DVD set Turn It On by Jimmy Clews is excellent and has great close ups of tools being used. Lots of different projects. I highly recommend it.

Gary Garmar
08-29-2007, 9:36 PM
Anything with Raffan's name as author.

Jon Lanier
08-29-2007, 9:38 PM
If you have DSL, you can go to Youtube and watch quite a bit of free turning. One guy showed a 5 part series on turning a bowl from a log. Very informative. Just go to Youtube and search "woodturning."

You might try: thewoodworkingchannel.com as well.

Mike Cutler
08-30-2007, 5:14 AM
Thanks for the info folks.

Ken.
I picked up the Keith Rowley book you recomended. You're right, it's a nice book, just what I was looking for at this point. I'll be doing some reading over the next few days.

Gary

I looked through the Raffan books, Whoa!!! That's some serious artwork there. That guys amazing.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the videos everyone recomended. The Yoy Tube videos sound interesting.