PDA

View Full Version : Creeker visits gloat(s)

Nancy Laird
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
We're on vacation and as has become the standard, Creeker visits are part of the routine. Sunday, we had breakfast with Ed Breen and his wife in Muskogee, then made the trek to his house and shop for a look-see. I can tell you---the shop has only gotten more crowded since March when I was there. All of his inherited tools have joined the ones he already had--I mean, the man has seven - count 'em, SEVEN - chain saws. Here's Ed and David deep in conversation about something.

On Monday we headed to Conway and another Creeker visit with Dennis, Mark, and Joe. We were all in Dennis' shop, and his son Samuel joined us for a while. Talking shop-machines-tools-technique-just stuff.

Mark and David - Mark brought me three very pretty turning blanks - one sycamore, one black cherry, and one Japanese yew. Now to see what I can do with them.

Samuel and Dennis.

Joe, admiring one of Dennis' rough-outs (that he said has been sitting there for a looooonnng time!!).

We had a good time in Muskogee and Conway, and last night we landed in Collierville, at Keith Burns' place... NEXT

Nancy Laird
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
So, last night we got to Keith Burns' house in Collierville, and he was waiting for us. I got a lesson in bowl-turning and tool use from Keith, and---here comes the big GLOAT - I got to turn on Keith's new Oneway!!! It is a sweet machine, quiet, strong, changing speeds at the twist of a knob.

Keith had a chunk of walnut already on the machine, and between the two of us we got it roughed out and ready to go on my lathe in NM to finish off. It has some cracks, but I think I'll be able to deal with them, since I have all you mentors here to advise me.

Here's some pics:

We had a good time with Keith in the shop, then got to see some of the GORGEOUS furniture that Keith has built--how about a red oak mission-style bedroom? His wife's upstairs workroom is full of built-ins and glass-front bookcases in mission style that he has built, and let me tell you, as good as he is at turning, he's that good at flatwork. (Oops, did I say that word??)

Thank you, Keith, for the evening, for the bowl, for the little HF that he made for me (pics will have to wait), for the corian sticks for pens, and for your company, your expertise, and your teaching. We enjoyed our visit with you.

Nancy (114 days)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Congrats Nancy and Dave! I'm not the least bit envious........ Well...Maybe a little......

Well maybe a Whole Lot!:D

Jim Becker
08-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Sounds like you're having a great time!

Leigh Costello
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, now, Nancy, how about renting a trailer and hauling some "borrowed" wood to Missouri.;) Between our husbands and us, I bet we could make something. Just kidding! Enjoy your trip and keep us posted.

Nancy Laird
08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Leigh, we are at my parents' house in West Tennessee, getting ready to go down to the sawmill to fill up the truck bed with oak and maple to take back to NM for various projects. Unfortunately, our route back home doesn't take us to East Central Missouri - the closest we will get will be Kennett, then a dive down into Arkansas to pick up I-40. But, depending on how close you are to Kennett, I can direct you to a couple of good sawmills near here. I think that when we get back from loading the truck, I'm gonna have yet another gloat!!!

Nancy (113 days)

Leigh Costello
08-31-2007, 2:29 PM
Nancy,
Sounds like you are making quite the haul. Can't wait to see what you post and gloat! We have a local sawmill and some others we try to get to around Rolla. Never been to Kennett, but have a cousin-in-law from Hayti. Have a great trip and may your future include hours and hours of fun with your treasures.

Nancy Laird
08-31-2007, 2:53 PM
Posted another gloat in the Weekend thread. Please don't throw rocks at us as we pass through on I-40 heading home!

Nancy (112 days)

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2007, 4:40 PM
Nancy....it sure was great to meet David and to visit with you again. Y'all are welcome around our place any time you are in our area. Maybe next time, I'll have your bowl ready for you. :o ;)