PDA

View Full Version : New to Soccer Coach - any advice

Stephen Beckham
08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Creekers - - any coaches/past coaches out there that willing to give free advice?

I just found out last night that our league was short two coaches again this season and I volunteered to take my son's team if they were short again. Got stuck with someone who didn't want to do it last season, but felt like he'd help out when he could (about 50% of the games - families filled in other half).

It's for the six and under league. I played in the same level 35 years ago and can't recall much of what the coach taught us except "run, run and run some more." That's not fun to a 4, 5 and 6 year old.

Any "battle-drills" or "foot-drills" that could be suggested?

Thanks...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Uh....Stephen......with your last name....it isn't hereditary?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Joe Pelonio
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I coached for 12 years, from U-6 to U-14, including a year coaching two teams and another two years coaching a team and assisting with a select team.

Get ready to spend a lot of time with it, and to experience some amazement with how demanding parents can be.

My best advice is get to a coaching clinic. I ended up with the level "E" license which should be sufficient for up to age 14. The "F" is first, then if you like it and decide to continue take the "E" and maybe a goalkeeping clinic.

There are many good books available, check at your local soccer store, the library, and online, but they are no substitute for clinics where you get hands on (feet on?) experience with running practice and doing drills. Most clubs/leagues offer them frequently.

Dusty Fuller
08-30-2007, 3:03 PM
I coached a 4-6 year old team a couple of years ago, then moved up to a 9-10, and then helped coach two teams at the same time (9-10 and 11-12). I didn't know much about soccer at first, and still don't really know ALL of the rules. With the young ones, its all about putting the foot on the ball. Don't worry about doing fancy ball tricks. I used follow-the-leader, tag, relay games (dribbling with the ball, dribbling around/between cones), and once tied balloons to their ankles with a short piece of string. Last one with an unpopped balloon gets a prize or something (you'd be amazed how much it can help their ball-handling). Combine playground games with soccer balls and you've got practice. I would buy or otherwise legally obtain a mesh bag, 8-10 smaller-sized balls, and lots of cones - of different colors.You can set up relay courses using the different colors for different groups, or use the colors for directional aids. This age group is usually pretty easy once you get them moving, but look out for "leeches" who won't let go of their parents. That's when the parent needs to hit the field with their child. Oh.. I almost forgot.. have them kick the ball at you. Its good for their aim, and most of them can't kick hard enough to hurt. They love it. Perhaps a little too much!

Dusty

Stephen Beckham
08-30-2007, 7:35 PM
Guys - thanks... It's going to be fun. We have 7-8 players per team and only run five at a time. I like the sound of the baloons - maybe I should bring a camera to try and get some good footage for AFV... Last season it was a free-for-all to kick the ball towards a goal.

We had one little girl on our team that scored more goals for the other teams than ours. She claimed it was 'funner kicking it to her friend because the other guys always stopped the ball - and that's no fun - but our guys don't stop the balls...'

Ken - not sure my distant cousin by name only would be proud of me with ball-n-foot disease... Guess I was adopted and was never told about it...:eek:

Dusty Fuller
08-31-2007, 9:16 AM
That "herd mentality" where they all go after the ball and kick it whereever is typical and almost unavoidable. Some of the goals are more like accidents. That's the hardest thing about teaching soccer... getting the players to "unclump" so to speak and move the ball around. Come to think of it, I had a hard time getting my older teams to do that. Another tip... let them watch some real soccer. Don't make them watch it too long (sorry, but I consider than punishment), but they'll see how spread out the players are and take the hint. At this really young age its more about foot-to-ball and ball-in-right-direction. Most parents are satisfied with tired kids!

Dusty

Peter Stahl
08-31-2007, 3:20 PM
I got roped into coaching soccer when my daughter was younger. I had the least talented kids in the league. Go to other practices and ask other coaches for tips. Letting them do practice games by dividing the team in 2 helps also and as they are playing stop them and show them what they are doing wrong. Good luck, keep it light and let them all get a chance to play and have fun. Winning means nothing to most of them if they don't get to play much.

Neal McCormick
08-31-2007, 3:33 PM
All of my children played soccer when they were younger. 2 played through high school. Don't let the players shoot at you - teach them to shoot away from you! You would be amazed on how many times a player on a break away (one v one going against the goalie) shoots the ball directly AT the goalie. Soccer is one of the few games where hitting the "target" (the goalie in this case) does not reward you. Teach them to shoot away from the goalie and you will have taught them an excellent skill. At this age, this is "bee-hive" soccer - where the queen (ball) goes, there go the "bees". And make sure you have snacks!!!