PDA

View Full Version : Delta TS with a riving knife?

George Carion
08-29-2007, 9:33 AM
Before I click "buy" on the Powermatic PM2000 does anyone know when Delta is going to release a 10" TS with a riving knife? This safety feature is the main reason I'm looking to dump my current Delta contractor's saw.

Man, how much second guessing does a person have to do before they pull the trigger on a table saw? It's like buying a house.

Thanks.

Maurice Ungaro
08-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Who knows. I say, if you need it now, get it. If you can get by for a while, hold off. If you have an inordinate amount of money burning a hole in your pocket - SEND IT TO ME!

Bart Leetch
08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't know the answer to your question but why wonder about it when you can vote with your money & buy a Powermatic PM2000 or even a Grizzly G0605X 12" Extreme Series Table-saw with both a 5/8" & 1' arbor. Both these saws have riving knives.

Mark Rios
08-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't know the answer to your question but why wonder about it when you can vote with your money & buy a Powermatic PM2000 or even a Grizzly G0605X 12" Extreme Series Table-saw with both a 5/8" & 1' arbor. Both these saws have riving knives.

......or the Sawstop.

Allen Bookout
08-29-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't know the answer to your question but why wonder about it when you can vote with your money & buy a Powermatic PM2000 or even a Grizzly G0605X

I agree with Bart. Of course it is not my money but I say support those companies that are willing to change their age old designs for the benefit of the users.

I will have to admit that I am a Delta Unisaw owner but I did not know when I bought it what I know now and these choices were not available that I know of without going European.

Jason White
08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
I've seen and played with the PM2000 (at trade shows). I'm pretty sure it's not "made in USA" like the famous PM66, but I don't think you can go wrong with the PM2000. It's a beast!

JW

Before I click "buy" on the Powermatic PM2000 does anyone know when Delta is going to release a 10" TS with a riving knife? This safety feature is the main reason I'm looking to dump my current Delta contractor's saw.

Man, how much second guessing does a person have to do before they pull the trigger on a table saw? It's like buying a house.

Thanks.

Brad Townsend
08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Lately there seems to be a tremendous time lag between when Delta announces something, and when it actually appears in the marketplace. The new line drill presses is a good example. Seeing as how they haven't even announced a table saw with a riving knife yet (or did I miss something?), if you wait on Delta, you may be waiting until h*ll freezes over.:rolleyes: Life is too short.

Randal Stevenson
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
It was discussed here a while back that 2008 is when NEW style saws are required to have the knife, and OLDER styles (like the Unisaw, contractors, etc) are 2014.

My guess, Sawstop will have their contractors saw out before then and it's two years behind.

John Hedges
08-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Out of curiosity, even if Delta had announced a new TS with a RK. Why would you rather have that than a PM2000. I think Delta quality is a bit below PM these days.

George Carion
08-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Just looking to avoid some buyer's remorse. It seems that the PM is the right way to go. I'm just going to do it. I can't justify the extra $2000 for the Sawstop as I don't make a living at this trade.

Out of curiosity, even if Delta had announced a new TS with a RK. Why would you rather have that than a PM2000. I think Delta quality is a bit below PM these days.

Chuck Lenz
08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Just looking to avoid some buyer's remorse. It seems that the PM is the right way to go. I'm just going to do it. I can't justify the extra $2000 for the Sawstop as I don't make a living at this trade.
I agree, a SawStop is out of my range, but then again so is a cabinet saw. My contractors saw works just fine, I don't see any sense in me buying anything else unless I was makeing a liveing at it, and with this so called global economy I don't see that happening, tried it once allready after being a woodworker for about 22 years. But then again if I was rich I'm sure I'd want to keep up with the boys, unfortunatly I'm not.

Greg Peterson
08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Jet and Grizzly also have a 10" cabinet saw with riving knife.

I'm sure Delta has good reasons for not rolling out a riving knife equipped TS. I'm not waiting though.

There are several choices in the marketplace today. Any company that wants to drag their heels on adapting this safety feature does so at their own peril.

Why buy a new TS that does not have a riving knife when you can have one with a riving knife?

Jason Beam
08-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with Bart. Of course it is not my money but I say support those companies that are willing to change their age old designs for the benefit of the users.

I will have to admit that I am a Delta Unisaw owner but I did not know when I bought it what I know now and these choices were not available that I know of without going European.

I'm probably splitting hairs, but "willing to change" is a little bit of a misnomer to me. They may be ahead of the game, but they're all required to change their designs no matter what. That said, they may as well come out smelling pretty and offer something early. :)

Chris Jenkins
08-29-2007, 1:02 PM
If you don't want to spend the money on a PM2000 take a look at the new JET Xacta Deluxe. Lots of cool features of the 2000 without the price. Granted it doesn't have the integrated base and weight of the cast iron foot it is still a real good saw.

Riving Knife
4" Dust Shroud around blade
Poly - V belt
Bigger table and I think some other stuff
~$1899, (better than $2200 for the PM2000)

John Hedges
08-29-2007, 2:09 PM
Chris I got my PM2000 for under 2K from Timberline. When you add the price of the mobile base to the Jet, there really isn't much difference in price, and the PM2000 is a proven product that's been out a while. I was looking at the Jet when I got my PM2000 and without any reviews or owners that I could find, I just wasn't going to take a chance that it had some design flaws when the 2000 could be had for close to the same money. I did get a copy of the Jet owners manual from WMH if anyone wants a copy let me know.

Tom Henderson2
08-30-2007, 2:19 AM
I've just about given up on Delta. They seem to be all sizzle without any steak.

They hyped the "Delta Precision" for MONTHS -- and in the end it was just a merger of PC and Delta. no new products other than the drill press we all knew about for months.

Delta seems to be trying to cover up their lack of new products with hype and marketing. New web sites & new slogans but no new products.

To paraphrase Leo Durocher, "Stick a fork in them -- they are done."

Or if you want to be charitable, consider them a "company in transition."

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Chuck Lenz
08-30-2007, 9:25 AM
I've just about given up on Delta. They seem to be all sizzle without any steak.

They hyped the "Delta Precision" for MONTHS -- and in the end it was just a merger of PC and Delta. no new products other than the drill press we all knew about for months.

Delta seems to be trying to cover up their lack of new products with hype and marketing. New web sites & new slogans but no new products.

To paraphrase Leo Durocher, "Stick a fork in them -- they are done."

Or if you want to be charitable, consider them a "company in transition."

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA
Tom, I think since Black and Decker bought Delta and Porter-Cable the company has gotten so big that it doesn't run efficiently anymore, kind of like big goverment. It's really a shame to see.