PDA

View Full Version : Best String Trimmer under $200

Bob Moyer
08-29-2007, 8:24 AM
Need to replace the string trimmer that has served me reliably for the last 10 years. I use it mostly for trimming weeds vs. edging. What do you recommend.

Thank you!

Kevin Beck
08-29-2007, 8:37 AM
I've owned the lowest-end model straight shaft Echo string trimmer for 3 - 4 years. It is perfectly reliable, starts on the second pull, easy to change the string, and can be serviced by a local dealer (though it's never needed it). My string trimmer is used weekly for about 48 weeks of the year and has never had a problem.

Most of the commercial lawn services in this area (Central Florida) use either Echo or Stihl equipment.

Kevin

Bryan Rocker
08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I would have to say echo as well. I have had several sub $100 trimmers and they all had short lives. I have had an echo for 4 years and it been put through its paces. No shop visits yet.
Bryan

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I've had my Stihl for 4-5 years.....it's going strong.

Al Willits
08-29-2007, 2:10 PM
I've had my Stihl for 4-5 years.....it's going strong.

Same here, plus you can get different attachments for it, not cheap but it will last a long time.

Al

Scott Donley
08-29-2007, 2:58 PM
Really like my Troy 4 cycle straight shaft. in it's 3rd year now and starts on the first pull every time. No more mixing gas and oil. I have the tiller and the 8 ft. pruner attachments so it has been worked purty hard. Not a Sthil, but not near the money either :D

Greg Cole
08-29-2007, 3:00 PM
I have a little side business mowing-landscaping that I do about 30 weeks a year or so... I have 2 brands I SWEAR by: Stihl & John Deere.
Neither are cheap, but both are very good machines & trust me I use them more in a month than most home owners will in years. I bet the JD has at somewhere in the 300 hour range on it, only maintenance has been spark plugs.... oh yeah and a choke housing from where SOMEONE ran over it.:rolleyes:

The Stihl sits at home waiting for the JD to die... or get run over fatally.:D

Greg

David G Baker
08-29-2007, 4:54 PM
I have a Shindaiwa it is not under $200 but it has served me well for the past 4 years. It is a combination weed trimmer/brush trimmer. I have cut 6 inch trees down using a 90 tooth blade and cleared an acre of brush that had over grown an area that I wanted to use. Never have had any trouble with it.

Gary Herrmann
08-29-2007, 5:47 PM
Another vote for Shindaiwa. Someone broke into my garage at the old house and stole my Stihl. I like my Shin better.

Keel McDonald
08-30-2007, 6:50 AM
Shindaiwa's the best. It's over $200, but well worth it if you can afford it. I'll never own anything else.

Bob Moyer
08-30-2007, 8:00 AM
Shindaiwa's the best. It's over $200, but well worth it if you can afford it. I'll never own anything else.

Can you tell me what model Shindaiwa yuo recommend

Keel McDonald
08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Can you tell me what model Shindaiwa yuo recommend

Bob,

I use the 22T (http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/products/trimmers/22f_22t.php) model. I think I gave around $279 a few years back. I really hesitated to spend the money at first, but am glad I did. I use it to trim around about 150 trees around my property (3 acres). I also use it for 2 ditch lines, a retaining wall, and child's playset. It usually takes me 2 hours to trim. It never boggs down. I love it! Best of all, it's relatively light weight, which was a big concern of mine.