PDA

View Full Version : Book Question

Wayne Bitting
08-29-2007, 7:56 AM
Rockler is having 50% off book sale. Does anyone have any recommendations on anything (both lathe and non-lathe)? I have one old woodturning book by Dale Nish but that’s it. I’m looking for maybe more of an inspirational book/how to do book then a basic tip and technique, but anything goes. The Wizardry and the Segmenting ones look good but not sure.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-29-2007, 8:57 AM
I'm probably in the minority but I like anything by Ray Key a British turner. He is practical, easy to understand, down to earth and his stuff is usable right away. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of other good investments as well. :)

Frank Kobilsek
08-29-2007, 9:06 AM
Wayne,

I enjoy the design books. There are several that are just a compilation of pictures with brief comments by the turner. John Hunnex has Woodturning Forms and Materials, there is a 500 Bowls book, and many others. These books are great for inspiration.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2007, 9:38 AM
I like Ray Key's book on lidded boxes and Chris Stotts on 50 lidded boxes. I also like any of Richard Raffans books.

Paul Heely
08-29-2007, 9:54 AM
In addition to the other suggestions, which are all good, I would also add:
Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley

Jeff Bower
08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley

My dad got this for me when I first started and it is very good. Very informative and covers everything from wood choices, wood anatomy?, lathes, tools, sharpening and a few projects to get you started. I still have it in the "reading room" and take a look at it all the time.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
My dad got this for me when I first started and it is very good. Very informative and covers everything from wood choices, wood anatomy?, lathes, tools, sharpening and a few projects to get you started. I still have it in the "reading room" and take a look at it all the time.

That's my "go to" book......Woodturning - A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley