PDA

View Full Version : Bostitch HPK18 Pinner Problem - or bad technique?

Jeff Cord
08-28-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm having problems with my Bostitch micro-pinner not setting the pins below the surface of my wood. :confused:

Purchased pinner #1 from Amazon.
When I tried it for the first time I found the pins not set below the surface (as I had expected) but either flush or slightly proud of the surface.

I'm testing with some molding (about 1/2" molding nailed to a 2 x 4 scrap.

Since there's no depth adjuster (only a "power" adjustment which was already at full power) I decided to call Bostitch customer service.

(I also tried setting my compressor to about the max recommended for the nailer, no difference."

After just a couple of minutes the girl said "Yes, we've had problems with some of our nailers. Send it back for a replacement."

Went to Amazon, entered that I had a defective nailer, got return label and they automatically re-ordered a replacement nailer.

Received pinner #2 from Amazon today.
Tried it out, same problem.

Is it possible that my technique is wrong? (I'm using the same way as my PC brad nailer and that works great.)
Do I have unrealistic expectations that the pins be slightly below the surface of the wood?
Or is this truly a problem with the design of the nailer and I have another defect?
???
Help?

Note: I must say that the Amazon customer service was great. No major questions asked. They automatically sent me a replacement that I got in 3 days.

thanks,
Jeff

Don Bullock
08-29-2007, 7:39 AM
Jeff, I have the same pin nailer. Others have complained on the forums about the problem with the Bostitch 23 ga Pin Nailer. I found that I had the same problem when I got in a hurry while I was using it with the 1 3/16" pins in oak molding. If I took the time to make sure that the tip was snug against the molding I was pinning it worked fine. If I used quickly like I did my 18 ga nailer I sometimes had the problem you are describing.

Chuck Kiser
08-29-2007, 7:49 AM
Jeff,

I have the same tool and have the same problem. Technique is only part of the problem. I use mostly hardwood moldings and the pins are proud more often than not. I believe it is the design of the tool.:( I am going to 'upgrade' to a better quality (more expensive) tool.:cool:

I hope your results are better than mine.

Ed Labadie
08-29-2007, 12:17 PM
No problems at all with mine. Works like a champ!
I would see about sending the pinner back to Bostitch, not Amazon. If Amazon has a bad batch you are just going to keep getting bad ones.

Ed

Jeff Cord
08-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Took my time and was sure the "nose" of the pinner was pressed against the wood.
However, I pressed hard enough to mark the wood.
I don't think that's correct.
I'm going to contact customer service again and see what they recommend.
Jeff

Ed Labadie
08-30-2007, 7:01 AM
You do not press the pinner against the wood with that much force. Just lightly touch the wood with it, only enough force to hold it in place. The techinque is totally different than a brad nailer or finish nailer.

Ed

Don Bullock
08-30-2007, 9:54 AM
Took my time and was sure the "nose" of the pinner was pressed against the wood.
However, I pressed hard enough to mark the wood.
I don't think that's correct.
I'm going to contact customer service again and see what they recommend.
Jeff

Jeff, thanks for keeping up with this. Please keep us informed. I'd like to know what they say.

You do not press the pinner against the wood with that much force. Just lightly touch the wood with it, only enough force to hold it in place. The techinque is totally different than a brad nailer or finish nailer.

Ed

Ed, I think you're correct on this, but it also may be a defective tool. I think some of my problems were due to not holding the pinner firmly in place.

Denny Rice
08-31-2007, 2:25 AM
I'm having problems with my Bostitch micro-pinner not setting the pins below the surface of my wood. :confused:

Purchased pinner #1 from Amazon.
When I tried it for the first time I found the pins not set below the surface (as I had expected) but either flush or slightly proud of the surface.

I'm testing with some molding (about 1/2" molding nailed to a 2 x 4 scrap.

Since there's no depth adjuster (only a "power" adjustment which was already at full power) I decided to call Bostitch customer service.

(I also tried setting my compressor to about the max recommended for the nailer, no difference."

After just a couple of minutes the girl said "Yes, we've had problems with some of our nailers. Send it back for a replacement."

Went to Amazon, entered that I had a defective nailer, got return label and they automatically re-ordered a replacement nailer.

Received pinner #2 from Amazon today.
Tried it out, same problem.

Is it possible that my technique is wrong? (I'm using the same way as my PC brad nailer and that works great.)
Do I have unrealistic expectations that the pins be slightly below the surface of the wood?
Or is this truly a problem with the design of the nailer and I have another defect?
???
Help?

Note: I must say that the Amazon customer service was great. No major questions asked. They automatically sent me a replacement that I got in 3 days.

thanks,
Jeff

I had the same problem with the first one I got from amazon. Sent it back for replacement nailer in the meantime I did research on nailer while waiting on 2nd nailer on Bostitch website. There are only 3 or 4 brands of pin nails that they recommend using. One of the brands were porter cable. I purchsed different lenghts of pins in porter cable brand and tested 2nd nailer. Have not had a problem since. Woodcraft sells these pins for about 4.00 a pack.:)

Don Bullock
08-31-2007, 9:20 AM
I had the same problem with the first one I got from amazon. Sent it back for replacement nailer in the meantime I did research on nailer while waiting on 2nd nailer on Bostitch website. There are only 3 or 4 brands of pin nails that they recommend using. One of the brands were porter cable. I purchsed different lenghts of pins in porter cable brand and tested 2nd nailer. Have not had a problem since. Woodcraft sells these pins for about 4.00 a pack.:)

Denny, thanks for the information. I guess I may have tio send mine in to see if I can get a better one. The information on the pins is interesting, but I'm using the Bostitch pins with it. Do they recommend their own brand of pins?:confused: