PDA

View Full Version : What to build?

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-27-2004, 7:09 PM
I made the title kinda brooad to get people to read this. ;)

I have a show coming up in April (the first Mesquite Assn show in San Angelo). The booth spaces are smallish, and it's been suggested we don't take our 'walls' with us. My wife tells me I'm outta my mind if I don't carry a bed up there, but I was kinda leaning toward a 'den' theme for this one...maybe a computer desk and chair, Morris chair and table(s), credenza/bookshelves, etc. It's occurred to me that a 'daybed' might fit in the setting...but usuing a full size twin mattress makes it more a 'bed' bed than a daybed, I think. Any comments about that would be appreciated.

Also, at some point soon I'm considering building a Mission headboard (only) to be used with a store-bought frame, and putting a bench with it to go at the foot of the bed. That would make the bed a lot more affordable for someone than a 'complete' set, and the bench could go separately...so it doesn't hurt me if it doesn't go with the bed. I've not seen a Mission heaboard-only bed, so I'm looking for reassurance (or not).

This is borderline, but may belong in the design area. If so, feel free to move it.

KC

Todd Burch
01-27-2004, 9:55 PM
Blanket chests and bookcases and pretty generic pieces that most everyone can use.

How about making some miniatures - say, 1/6 or 1/4 scale? That way, you could always take them all with you.

Todd

Bob Lasley
01-27-2004, 10:01 PM
KC,

Another thing you might think about for beds is building the headboard and footboard as usual and then setting it up with short side rails and a fake shorty mattress and springs. Maybe your lovely wife could even make up a little short bedspread for it. I've seen setups like this a time or two in furniture stores. Of course, I like the den theme too.

Bob

Jim Becker
01-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Have you considered building something like the right or left one third of a headboard for your shows? That combined with a portfolio book would work well for shows that have small spaces available. It would also be an opportunity to highlight your superb (!) construction techniques! :D There is no rule that says you have to have a "whole" piece for display, especially when you can't fit the real McCoy in the booth. Combine that with other pieces that highlight the flavor of what you do and you should be able to do business as effectively as at larger shows where space is plentiful. IMHO, of course...and as usual, the price was low... :rolleyes:

Ace Karner
01-27-2004, 11:55 PM
I'm with your better half KC, hell we're Texicans and we don't do anything halfway, take your bed they will make room for the beautiful stuff you make.

ace

Tom Sweeney
01-28-2004, 12:09 AM
but up here all the higher end homes have sitting areas in the master BR suite. why not do the full bed with the short rails Like Bob suggested with the blanket chest & maybe side tables & then you could still do a Morris chair, table & credenza.

You could still sell the bed - just either have the real rails all made before hand or deliver the whole deal at a later date.

Just 1 guys opinion & like Jim - ya gets what ya pays for :D

Terry Quiram
01-28-2004, 7:01 AM
KC

If you are "taking the walls with you" there will be a need for some art to hang. I have some nice horse patterns that could be scrolled and mounted to plaques.

Terry

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-28-2004, 7:33 AM
KC,

Another thing you might think about for beds is building the headboard and footboard as usual and then setting it up with short side rails and a fake shorty mattress and springs. Maybe your lovely wife could even make up a little short bedspread for it. I've seen setups like this a time or two in furniture stores. Of course, I like the den theme too.

Bob

Thanks for the replies. I used short rails for the last show display (see pic), so I've already got them made for whenever the next time is.

Terry, the walls are only 48" tall...no hanging room.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/03booth2.jpg

Bob Lasley
01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Dang KC, you sure are a smart feller!! See you've already got it all figured out. You just wanted to see if the rest of us was anywhere near as smart as you! :D

Good luck with the show,
Bob