PDA

View Full Version : saluteing at a burial

John Wibbenmeyer
08-28-2007, 6:23 PM
I've looked & looked but I can't find an answer. So I figured there HAS to be a few knowledgeable vets out here who would know,,, During a funeral service,when Taps are played Should you stand at attention and salute? Thanks ya'll Shoo I been sick and lost this web-site for a while,, Glad to be back.

Nancy Laird
08-28-2007, 6:37 PM
Short answer: Yes. IF you are in uniform. If you are in civilian attire, you put your hand over your heart--just like saluting the flag.

Nancy (115 days)

Mike Henderson
08-28-2007, 6:42 PM
I would think that the most important thing is to show respect for the deceased and family. If you felt that a salute would bring attention to you instead of the ceremony, I wouldn't salute but would stand quietly. If you felt a salute would be appropriate in the circumstances and would honor the deceased and family, please do.

Mike

John Wibbenmeyer
08-28-2007, 6:46 PM
Thanks It was at my brothers funeral I wouldn't salute to bring attn to me but in order to honor him and the US Army. I was in civies thought I was not supposed to salute in civillian clothes but wasn't sure. Like I said it was my brother and my mind wasn't working all to well at the time.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Randal Stevenson
08-28-2007, 6:55 PM
There was recently a law passed to allow former members of the armed services the "right" to salute still since they do represent former service members.

I didn't think there was that much problem with it.

M Toupin
08-28-2007, 7:32 PM
John,
Sorry to hear of your loss. The "proper military etiquette" when taps is played and you're in civilian cloths is to stand at attention and place your right hand over your hart. Uniformed (military, police fire etc) persons salute. Now this is "proper military etiquette", I don't think anyone in their right mind would object to someone in civilian cloths saluting a loved one or close friend. Now that would be "poor etiquette"...

Randal, not to nit pick, but you're referring to Senate bill 1877/House bill 3380 which has not passed yet. It's presently in the House Committee on the Judiciary. The bill only deals with members of the military saluting the flag during hoisting, lowering, or passing of flag, not individuals.

In short the bill reads:
"A bill to amend title 4, United States Code, to prescribe that members of the Armed Forces and veterans out of uniform may render the military salute during hoisting, lowering, or passing of flag."

Mike

Stephen Beckham
08-28-2007, 10:36 PM
John,

Sorry for your loss - Mike was correct - if you need/want to see it in writing, the Army Regulation 600-25 Appendix C covers the W's of Saluting. Goggle AR 600-25

Mike,

Agree with your comments on the new law (not passed yet) the key note is that currently veterans are not allowed to salute ever. I know it sounds silly and yes it would be a shame for anyone to get corrected for saluting in or out of uniform. It's a loop hole... And whose going to tell all those Vets in uniform that they are not allowed?!?!?

The new law will remove the stigma of not being allowed by regulatory guidance if you're not currently serving (again in or out of uniform). This law only corrects the obvious - those who serve and who have served have earned the right to render honors.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2007, 11:08 PM
John...........Sorry for your loss.

Dennis Peacock
08-28-2007, 11:24 PM
John,

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. I send my most sincere condolences and thanks for your bother and serving our country.

Brian Kent
08-29-2007, 3:22 AM
John, I am sorry to hear about your brother. As a pastor, I have found that nearly any well-intentioned action will be received well.

When I perform funeral services with military honors at the Riverside National Cemetary, the officer in charge of the Color Guard asks us to stand during taps, for all members of the armed forces and veterans to salute, and for all other to put their hands over their hearts.

There is something about the solemnity of the ceremony and the precise actions of slowly and carefully folding the flag that carry great meaning. When the officer in charge kneels before a family member and presents the flag on behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation, that's when I find my tears.

First couple of times I was nervous about being able to speak with tears, but then I found that a moment's pause on my part is also received well by the group of people gathered in love and respect.

Brian Kent

Al Willits
08-29-2007, 8:03 AM
Sorry for the loss, personally if you saluted and someone had a problem with that, I'd think the problem lies with them, not you.
Whatever you did was from the heart, not a etiquette book.

Al

jeremy levine
08-29-2007, 8:14 AM
Sorry for your loss.
BTW Nancy has it correct.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/ceremonies/clergy_information/Army/FAQ.htm#salute

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-29-2007, 9:40 AM
You may if you were/are military.
If you were not, the military guys round about won't understand and may think it disrespectful to them.

However, it's a funeral and they are for the living and you are one of the living. If you want to salute believing that it's a valid way to express something, there are no laws on point ergo: it's all a matter of the company you are in at the time and how you choose to interact with them.

I was working for a guy who had been a colonel in the Air Force. He barked an order at me and I snapped him a salute. His response was to demand whether I was ex-military. Clearly he had a strong opinion about who should be saluting and who should not. Other military guys will most likely feel the same way.

Hal Flynt
08-29-2007, 6:02 PM
More from Washington
Subject: Salute the flag Policy
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:02:36 -0500

Veterans, FYI

Airborne Infantry,

Albert Pike

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to salute the flag. Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform. "Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not. "I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."
This Bill was passed July 25, 2007. Let your veteran friends know about the Passage of this Bill.

John Wibbenmeyer
08-29-2007, 6:34 PM
Yes,, There is just something in the ceromony that does bring tears,whether its a family member or not. I did have my hand over my heart although in my mind I was saluting. I appreciate all of ya'lls condolences. Again Thank You

Jim King
08-29-2007, 7:34 PM
This thread really amazes me. I for one if I was at the funeral of a fellow veteran no matter if I had on a uniform that was 4 sizes to small or levis I would have the courtesy and obligation to salute. If some politician wants to tell me I have no right to respect my country, my flag or a fallen comrade I would have to make personal contact with him to tell him just exactly was on my mind. This thread and the proposed law are hard to believe. What has happened to us ? Even here in the middle of the Amazon ALL veterans salute the flag at the 4th of July party not to mention a fallen veteran and it is common for vets and current military personell of various countries to salute the flag of other countries on their Indepence days when the countries bring in military units to march in honor of the country celebrating Independence..

Mike Hood
08-29-2007, 7:41 PM
This stems from Veteran's organizations at funerals. Often they are not in uniform per se, but are wearing ball caps or garrison caps. The new law clarifies this ceremonial salute. It's purely a sign of respect and should be taken as such. I'm retired navy, and if you want to salute a fallen Veteran, you're not going to offend me.

Godspeed to your friend, and sorry to hear of your loss.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-30-2007, 10:54 AM
More from Washington
Subject: Salute the flag Policy

There is so much work that Congress ought to be doing it's just plain bizarre to see them passing toothless legislation about things like salutes at funerals.

Lee Schierer
08-30-2007, 2:26 PM
With regard to funerals and slautes, Navy Regulations say the following:

Article 1209.5. A person in the naval service not in uniform shall, in rendering salutes or exchanging greetings, comply with the rules and customs established for a civilian, except that, when saluting another person in the armed services, the hand salute shall be used.

Article 1289.6. Persons in the naval service shall salute when the body has been carried past them, while the body is being lowered into the grave or committed to the deep, and during the firing of volleys and the sounding of “Taps”.

My conclusion of this would be that if I were in the Navy (possibly other branches of service) that it would be proper to render a salute to a departed relative or comrade during the playing of taps regardless of whether I was in uniform or not. I did in fact salute the honor guard at my fathers funeral when they presented the casket flag to me despite the fact I was not in uniform (I was a naval officer at the time and my father was also a Air Force Officer) at the time. I have also returned salutes of less senior military membvers who saluted me while they were in uniform and I was not.

Saluting during taps by a civilian with no military affiliation would not be considered proper since the hand salute is a long established form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in the armed services. Nor would the saluting of a non military person be appropriate. I would not necessarily take offense if someone did as expressions of respect because I may not be aware of their prior or lack of prior military service.