PDA

View Full Version : Burl Question

Paul Andrews
08-28-2007, 5:55 PM
Need advise on how to remove the bark from the outside of a large burl?

Mike Vickery
08-28-2007, 6:22 PM
I have never done it but most say a power washer is the way to go.

George Guadiane
08-28-2007, 8:42 PM
How big?
What kind of burl?
How tight is the bark on it?
My best bet (without knowing that) is to say turn it first and use a dental pick to chip out any of the stubborn stuff.

Kevin McPeek
08-28-2007, 9:00 PM
..... turn it first and use a dental pick to chip out any of the stubborn stuff.

Thats what I did, sort of, and it's still a PITA. I roughed it then worked on the bark as the piece was drying. Sure I worked on stuff that just got turned away but I didn't use lathe time on it. I also used a grout brush to scrub the last bits clean.

Paul Andrews
08-29-2007, 7:30 AM
The burl in question is currently about 36" x 32" and will have to be trimmed to fit my lathes capacity, 30". What I want to try is to turn the wood from the inside and leave the outside natural, with the bark removed. I saw a similar piece in a gallery and all the spines and natural wood looked stunning.

How big of a pressure washer would be required?

Thanks for the input.

Paul

Paul Engle
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
I did a small winged burl 6x10 and used a dental pick / small blade screw driver to remove the bark to leave the points, some came off easy and some still on as I wanted to leave as much of the points as I could. The burl was maple and well dried so they were pretty tight. I chucked it up first and used the spindle index to hold as I worked around it. still got a few bleeders ( blood thinners) on my hands tho....

John Shuk
08-30-2007, 8:27 PM
Power washer with orbital spray tip to avoid drilling holes.