PDA

View Full Version : ALWAYS wear eye protection (with pictures why)

Paul Heely
08-28-2007, 4:52 PM
We all know that we should always wear our eye protection, but I'm sure there are those among us that sometimes don't. Hopefully the attached picture will help to remind everyone to always do so.

This is the result of a dyed and stabilized box elder blank that came apart as I was shaping it. It had already been roughed round and I was just taking a nice cut with the skew when it let go. These were prescription safety glasses, cheapest $150 I ever spent. Scary to think what would happen without proper protection.

Remember, its not just the big bowls coming off that we have to worry about. I'll get off the soap box now.

Jim Podsedly
08-28-2007, 4:54 PM
Paul,

Glad to hear you did not lose an eye or got hurt.

It serves as a good reminder.

I wear my perscription glasses and then safety ones over them. Kind of like a belt and suspender kind of guy i guess. :D

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2007, 4:56 PM
Paul.............Thank God you were wearing safety glasses!

Been a lot of these accidents happening lately!

Alex Cam
08-28-2007, 5:05 PM
Good reminder..

Gary Herrmann
08-28-2007, 5:07 PM
That gave me a shiver. Glad you weren't hurt.

Jim Underwood
08-28-2007, 5:38 PM
Is that a pen blank?!!:eek:

Paul Heely
08-28-2007, 5:48 PM
It was a pen blank. It should have been the nib barrel of a nice green dyed box elder Jr. Statesman. Now its just an interesting prop. :)

Keith Outten
08-28-2007, 7:01 PM
Paul,

You are now the newest member of the "Wise Owl Club", a group of people who have had their safety glasses destroyed and kept their eyesight in tact.

Congratulations

Ernie Nyvall
08-28-2007, 7:32 PM
Oh man, that thing flew off hard. Glad you're okay.

Pete Simmons
08-28-2007, 7:50 PM
Prior to the picture I felt reasonably safe just turning a pen blank and would sometimes work with just regular non-safety glasses.

New Rule - Safety glasses with anything that turns, jumps, spins or moves under it own power.

Thanks for getting my attention!

Anybody know where you can get full frame +3.0 safety glasses? Not bifocals but the whole lens is +3.

I have a pair that needs to be replaced but I cannot find this type. No name or help on the glasses themselfs. I did get them at Woodcraft years ago but now all they seem to have are bifocals.

Steve Ott
08-28-2007, 8:02 PM
That wasn't the cheapest $150 you spent, it was the best $150 you spent! Glad they worked!

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2007, 8:08 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. Steve hit the nail on the head. That was the best $150 spent.

Shane Nyvall
08-28-2007, 8:16 PM
still trying to figure out how that came off.

Paul Heely
08-28-2007, 8:29 PM
still trying to figure out how that came off.

Wish I had a good answer. Since the blank was stabilized it turned more like plastic than wood. Best I can figure is that there was a defect in the blank and since the grain that is there, the rest is burl, runs perpendicular to the centerline of the tube it just came flying off when I hit the defect.

Paul Heely
08-28-2007, 8:31 PM
That wasn't the cheapest $150 you spent, it was the best $150 you spent! Glad they worked!

You are correct. I should have said the best $150 I ever spent. After tomorrow's visit to the optometrist it'll be the best $150 I spent again.

Shane Whitlock
08-28-2007, 8:33 PM
Great reminder Paul ... Glad you are okay.

Always wear your safety glasses ... I am a stickler on this. I keep a large walnut bowl sitting on one of my benches with about 2 dozen safety glasses in it, if anyone walks into my shop I hand them a pair.

George Guadiane
08-28-2007, 8:39 PM
The good sense to wear them, even on the "safe stuff." The glasses will be repaired and you won't have any "recovery time."
YEAH!:D

Matt Haus
08-28-2007, 9:25 PM
Using the skew always gives me the willies:eek:

Mike A. Smith
08-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Glad you're OK Paul. I have to wear reading glasses to see what I'm doing and the ONLY ones in the shop are bifocals safetys just to make sure I always wear them.

Paul Heely
08-29-2007, 6:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I'm fine. Didn't even realize that I had been hit in the glasses when it happened. It took a little while for the full crack to set in. When it finally did it gave me the shivers too. The glasses and blank should make a good entry into my club's show and tell at the next meeting.

Off to the eye place today for an eye exam and new glasses. Actually I can't wait because the fit over safety glasses stink and I still have a couple of dozen bottle stoppers and dozens of pens to get finished up.

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2007, 9:17 AM
Glad you are OK! Great example of what could have happened - instead of one of those 'trip to the hospital' stories! I am sure everyone here thanks you for posting such a great reminder of why we always need to wear safety glasses!

Brian Brown
08-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Paul,

Glad to see that the glasses did their job! I have a friend who is an eye surgeon, and a wood worker. I saw a display of his woodwork once, where he posted a safety poster over the display. His safety poster was the X-ray box from his office with X-rays of some patients with some very scary eye ailments. One showed a framing nail from a nail gun through the eyeball and bones around the eye, and another the tooth from a saw blade in the eye. Your glasses would be cheap if they cost you $ 10,000. Personally I prefer a full face shield, because I value my teeth, nose etc., but by all means, at least the glasses.

Brian

Dave Dionne
08-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Paul
Thanks for sharing and giving the heads up, Glad you are ok. I have taken to wearing a face shield when turning these days.

Bill Stevener
08-29-2007, 5:40 PM
Mr. Paul, Its a blessing that your glasses saved your eye sight.
I have read all of the posts in this thread thus far and the last two are, to me the most significant on the overall subject. I don't know how many times it has been noted hear on SMC and other forums as well, that when turning, as uncomfortable as they are, one must where a face shield. That would have saved the $150.00 as well. Glad to see the last two posts. :)

Jonathan Harvey
08-29-2007, 5:55 PM
I wear a full face shield as well. Although I need a new one as the one I have is quite scratched up and hard to see through. Better safe then sorry. especially for a newb like me :)

Joyce Baldauf
08-29-2007, 6:07 PM
I got mine at Sam's Club. Just told them that I wanted the reading prescription as the entire lens. Under $130.00 depending on the safety frames you choose.

Joyce

Mick Zelaska
08-30-2007, 2:08 PM
I also wear a full face shield when using the lathe. I have bifocal safety glasses placed on all other machines. I figure if I have to move them to use the machine, I may as well put them on. I bought a bunch of glasses at http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/