PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that want 50" rails for your Bies

Bill Wyko
08-28-2007, 4:42 PM
I called Bies today to get prices on the 50" 3 piece set, 2 rails and the guide. You'll order it through Delta and the part number is 78-150. The price seems a little steep though at $253.11 plus shipping.

John Gregory
08-28-2007, 5:49 PM
A little less money at Mikes tools (http://www.mikestools.com/B78-150-Biesemeyer-Table-Saw-Commercial-Guide-Set-Delta-Grey.aspx)

Bruce Benjamin
08-28-2007, 8:44 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but how badly do you want that factory paint? It would be far cheaper to just go to your local steel supply house and buy the proper sized angle iron and rectangular tubing. Drilling and tapping isn't difficult and neither is spraying some rattle can paint of whatever color you want.

Bruce

Jim O'Dell
08-28-2007, 8:49 PM
Told you it was much buckos, huh? :D :D Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
08-28-2007, 10:17 PM
This Bruce agrees with other Bruce. I have made many Biese clones over the years. Hardest part is figuring out mounting holes for saw. Just take shorter front rail and clamp to new back rail. Keep tops flush. Using a transfer punch ( from HF) mark location of mounting holes. Then drill holes on back rail. Use back rail to layout front rail in similar manner. Tube is 14 ga rectangulat tubing and front angle iron is 2 X 3 X 1/4". Current rear angle is 1/4" X 2 X 2

Ed Bamba
08-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Bruce (poster #5), how critical is it to align all the mounting holes on the guide tube (i.e. holes of the front rail and guide tube being perfectly parrallel to the front of the table) ? Is there enough adjustment of the fence to make up for any slight misalignment?

Just wondering,
Ed

Dave Lehnert
08-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Bruce (poster #5), how critical is it to align all the mounting holes on the guide tube (i.e. holes of the front rail and guide tube being perfectly parrallel to the front of the table) ? Is there enough adjustment of the fence to make up for any slight misalignment?

Just wondering,
Ed

I can only speak for my JET saw. The front rail is off by ½” to ¾” from the factory and the fence adjusts fine with no problem.

I am with the others on the front rail. I was use to paying the high price form the big box for metal parts. I went to a regular steel place and purchased an 11GA box tubing (1.5” sq.) and a 20ft length was like $22 was shocked how cheap it was.

Bruce Wrenn
08-29-2007, 10:23 PM

Just wondering,
Ed First I drill the angle with a bit that is right size to be tapped to 1/4-20 threads. I think it is a #29 bit. Then I use three spacers made from 5/8" particle board to space tube from angle. Clamp whole thing together, and drill through with same bit. Unclamp, drill rail to 1/4", and tap tube for 1/4-20 bolts. Put it back together and ride on. Now, my neighbor does rail for me on his Bridgeport mill. Holes are drilled to the 0.0001" spacing. What a good neighbor. Everybody need a neighbor who has a Bridgeport mill. Of course, I have the power tools, along with an unlimited supply of generic "Round-Up", that he is welcome to. That is another story.