PDA

View Full Version : down draft table

James Evans
08-28-2007, 9:55 AM
Just wondering if anyone has or has used a Delta 50-880 down draft table. I have an opportunity to get a brand new one for $150. Just wondering if it is a deal that is to good to pass up? Thanks, Jamie

Jamie Buxton
08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
IMHO, any price on a downdraft table should be passed up. That's obsolete technology. A much better approach is to hook your sanders to a tool-triggered vacuum. The vacuum collects a higher percentage of the dust, and can be used on objects larger than the downdraft table.

Art Mann
08-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I just looked up that model on line and it is being advertised for something like $500. I don't have any experience with it but would buy it anyway because it looks so useful. I have no interest in using a sander with a clumsy 10 foot long vacuum hose attached to it.

Carl Crout
08-29-2007, 9:14 PM
I built one using 1/4" pegboard. Hooked it to my 2 hp dust collection system with 6" pvc. Didn't work that great and made an annoying whistling sound.
Don't waste your money. As was suggested, hook a ROS to a vacuum...

Dennis Peacock
08-29-2007, 9:33 PM
Don't waste your money. As was suggested, hook a ROS to a vacuum...

Agree!!! And a vac-hose attached isn't that bad once you get the hang of it and a LOT less dust in the air while sanding...not to mention quieter. :)