PDA

View Full Version : brown ebony cigar pen

Jeffrey Fusaro
08-28-2007, 8:22 AM
this one gave me fits...

it's not a burl, but given the gnarly grain orientation, i can only assume that it is a piece from a crotch.

tough as nails. a real *$#&@! to turn - even with frequently sharpened tools.

i managed to tear a nice hunk out of the wrtiting tip end about half way thru turning - no evidence of glue on the tube in that area. i filled to void with CA and ground up shavings. after a few repeat touch-ups with CA, it smoothed over well - but it is still visible.

this one has the "no finish" finish. i sanded the wood thru 12000 micromesh and applied several coats of renaissance wax.

then, i went to assemble the pen and heard a distinct "SNAP" when i installed the writing tip. put a nice hair line crack in the opposite end of the barrel. but, i didn't notice the crack until i had the pen finished. i only checked for cracks on the writing tip end, and didn't see any.

%@#&*!!! :mad:

oh, well. all in all it turned out ok. it'll be a keeper. i'll just keep this one for myself.

grrrrr! :mad:

Bonnie Campbell
08-28-2007, 9:00 AM
To bad you had all them problems with it. Even with the crack it's a nice looking pen :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Good looking pen Jeffery. I had a couple do the same thing.:mad: I put a little CA on it and when dry hand sanded then I guess you call it micromeshed with some of the LOML's finger nail files. They work great for small places. I didn't put any finish on either of these and still using them. She carries one and I the other.