PDA

View Full Version : Here is what I did today. Don't be telling to everyone

Alex Elias
08-28-2007, 4:56 AM
I felt pretty silly when I did it but I'll share it with you. I went to drill dome pocket holes. Did the set up as usual and when I went to do the first whole the bit would not go in at all (we are talking poplar) so as a normal male I decided to push a bit harder and then a bit more. Since the bit would not go in at all I decided to inspect the bit and see if there was something stuck inside the whole of the jig. Nothing was wrong. So I decided to step on a stool and lean all my weight on the #(&$)(**^% drill I figure that even if the bit was dull that was going to do it, but it did not. As you might imagine by now the one thing I did not look at was to make sure that the drill was spining on the right direction. So when making a whole make sure you check that before going for the stoll :D :D :D
Anyway when that happened I thought I would put a smile on someones face and share the story. Don't be telling everyone about it.
Regards,
Alex

Brad Townsend
08-28-2007, 8:51 AM
Even professionals will do this. Years ago, a cable installer came to my house to add a run to my basement. (Could have done it myself, but they would do it for free.) As he went at the brick facing with a 1/2" drill and two foot long masonry bit, I went into the basement to wait for it to break through. After about ten minutes of grinding, I went outside to see what was wrong. He was complaining bitterly about the hardness of the mortar on my house, when I pointed out to him that it would go much faster if he ran the drill forward. I left him alone to finish up.:rolleyes:

Don Bullock
08-28-2007, 9:14 AM
Thanks for the light moment Alex. I just did that recently. Woodworking can be such a humbeling experience.;) :D

Larry Conely
08-28-2007, 9:52 AM
Years ago I responded to an ad for a Rockwell radial arm drill press advertised for a VERY low selling price.

When I asked why the price was so low, I was told it "didn't work so good." I went to look at it. The motor was rotating the wrong way. I bought it, fixed the rotation by wiring it properly and am still using the drill press today.

Larry

frank shic
08-28-2007, 9:56 AM
alex, thanks for bringing back memories of my first cabinet project with pocket screws: the wood is smoking but the bit just won't feed!

Kevin Beck
08-28-2007, 9:58 AM
Alex,

I also attempted to drill pocket holes with my drill in the reverse position. And like you I pushed with all my might. To add insult to injury I convinced myself that something was wrong with the drill bit and went and purchased another and lo and behold had similar results.:mad: :mad:

After scratching my head for a little while I finally gathered enough brain cells together to check the drill direction :o

Kevin

Mark Rios
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Even professionals will do this. Years ago, a cable installer came to my house to add a run to my basement. (Could have done it myself, but they would do it for free.) As he went at the brick facing with a 1/2" drill and two foot long masonry bit, I went into the basement to wait for it to break through. After about ten minutes of grinding, I went outside to see what was wrong. He was complaining bitterly about the hardness of the mortar on my house, when I pointed out to him that it would go much faster if he ran the drill forward. I left him alone to finish up.:rolleyes:

I'm not arguing Brad but....I just don't consider cable installers "professionals". :D :D :D

John Lucas
08-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Wait just a darn moment. You mean to say that there is a directional thingie on the power drill? I thought it was part of the speed shifting section.

Cary Swoveland
08-28-2007, 12:30 PM
For those who do this a lot, I think you can buy reverse-turning drill bits.

Cary

Brad Townsend
08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm not arguing Brad but....I just don't consider cable installers "professionals". :D :D :D
Here in the rural midwest, we're a little more generous about what we consider a "profession".:D

James Carmichael
08-28-2007, 1:00 PM
Wait just a darn moment. You mean to say that there is a directional thingie on the power drill? I thought it was part of the speed shifting section.

Drills have a reverse switch:confused:

So if I drill a hole the wrong size or wrong place, I just run the drill in reverse, and it fills the hole back up, as if it was never there? Sweet!!!

Where do I find saws and routers with reverse switch????