PDA

View Full Version : Turning Blanks

Al Killian
08-28-2007, 2:37 AM
Hello, I am getting ready int the next two weeks to have several hunderd bdft sawed up. In the process I will have some Pine and chestnut blanks for sale if someone is intrested in them just pm me. The chestnut I should be able to get 5" square by what ever length and the pine should be around 7-8" square by what ever length. Also will have some apple that I am going to try and make some pen blanks for my self, but if intrested let me know. I hope this thread doesnt start any problems as I am not a bussiness. Just someone offering up a chance to get some blanks that would probaly end up in the fire pit.

joe greiner
08-28-2007, 8:42 AM
Why cut them square? That just reduces the largest round available from the log. Please defer cutting them until you get more specific inquiries.

Joe

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2007, 10:52 AM
I agree with Joe. If you are wanting to sell pen blanks, square is good but if you are going to sell bowl blanks I would cut the logs in half and a little longer than they are wide. I tried to turn some pine a few months ago and with all the pitch in it no more. It gums up the tools and lathe.

Al Killian
08-28-2007, 4:03 PM
OK, I will leave the log untill I get some request for them. Anyone have info on a hickory stump for turning stock?

George Guadiane
08-28-2007, 8:45 PM
OK, I will leave the log untill I get some request for them. Anyone have info on a hickory stump for turning stock?
Hickory is HARD and stump wood frequently has odd grain orientation...
Should be beautiful, but might be a real challenge.