PDA

View Full Version : Quincy compressor gloat

Josiah Bartlett
08-28-2007, 2:13 AM
So it doesn't cut wood directly, but...

I picked up a horizontal 60 gallon 2 cylinder Quincy air compressor off Craigslist for $250 today. Its all cast iron, has full oil pump lubrication, a nice Baldor industrial motor, and keeps up with my HVLP gun quite nicely. I haven't pulled the specs on the compressor but it seems to be doing at least 10cfm at 90 psi. The thing is rated for 100% duty cycle.

The only problem with it is that the tank spit valve has a slow air leak. I think this thing will outlast me and my kids.

If only I can find that kind of a deal on a big bandsaw...

Tyler Howell
08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't see a compressor:confused: Do you see a compressor:confused:
Didn't happen.
If a gloat like that were to take place, I'm sure the spit valve could be replaced

Ben Abate
08-28-2007, 1:08 PM
It's not a gloat unless we see pictures to make us jealous. And I for one am jealous. I have wanted a Quincey for some time now but the $1800.00 price tag for the 5 hp baldor 2 stage is holding me off for now. I came close until I purchased something else. I have one question for you???? Is it quiet????? I have heard that Quincey's are a bit more quiet than I.R.s and others in their class.

Good luck and if you have another one for $250.00 I'm sure one of us will be willing to buy it.

Ben

Josiah Bartlett
08-28-2007, 1:29 PM
Sorry, I'll post a pic tonight.

It is indeed very quiet, its about as loud as my unisaw. There is a nice automotive-style air cleaner on the intake that does a nice job of muffling the noise of the compressor, so you just hear the motor, the belt, and the gentle thub-thub of the pistons.

The thing even has an oil pressure gauge on it!

Jimmy Rogers
08-28-2007, 1:38 PM
Sounds super!

Jim Boggs
08-28-2007, 2:27 PM
anyone else looking for a deal should try a used restuarant and kitchen supply dealer.;) I picked up 5hp single stage IR with 80 gallon tank for a hundred bucks,rebuilt head(new air filter and housing,new gaskets and reeds,about $75.00)added regulator/condensate bowl and a few quick connects and had a pretty near new machine.:eek: was more work to run the extra 220v circuit back to panel(just finished half of basement). by the way IR was awesome about service on this machine,especially considering i couldn't find a serial # anywhere on it.

Josiah Bartlett
08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
http://lh6.google.com/josiahtheengineer/RtTs-63CKTI/AAAAAAAAAsk/9_3hUnz7kQ8/s800/IMG_0179.JPG

David LaRue
08-29-2007, 12:12 AM
That looks exactly like one we pulled out of a store that used it for the old pneumatic front door closers (many moons ago). It was not that color however! :eek:

I used it with a D/A and painted cars with it. It was not a high CFM unit, but it would go forever, and was pretty silent.

Joe Jensen
08-29-2007, 12:59 AM
So it doesn't cut wood directly, but...

I picked up a horizontal 60 gallon 2 cylinder Quincy air compressor off Craigslist for $250 today. Its all cast iron, has full oil pump lubrication, a nice Baldor industrial motor, and keeps up with my HVLP gun quite nicely. I haven't pulled the specs on the compressor but it seems to be doing at least 10cfm at 90 psi. The thing is rated for 100% duty cycle.

The only problem with it is that the tank spit valve has a slow air leak. I think this thing will outlast me and my kids.

If only I can find that kind of a deal on a big bandsaw...

Wow, I've been watching the Phx Craig's List for over a year to find a deal on Quincy. I have an ok Speedaire that is a true 3HP, but it has reed valves, it's loud, and it barely keeps up with my HVLP.

There is a nearly new 7.5HP 1Ph Quincy 80 gal vertical unit for $1700. Looks to be about 1/2 price, but I can't fit one that large in the shop, plus I only have 50 amps to the shop now...joe

Josiah Bartlett
08-29-2007, 3:56 PM
I'm not sure how it ended up orange, since current model Quincy's are painted blue, but all the nameplates agree that it is a Quincy.

I ended up finding a few more leaks in the little brass lines for the oil pressure unloader (it won't pump air until it has built up oil pressure), but a bit of tightening with a flare nut wrench and it seems to be fine.

I'm quite sure I lucked out on the price- the guy said when he told his shop guys what he got for it they cringed.

The best part-
He had an extra head and oil pump as spares for the thing, and he threw them in. It doesn't need either right now, and probably won't with the light duty I use it for. I'm going to start using air tools a lot more than I used to. I already had them, but now I don't get driven out of the shop by the noise of the compressor.