PDA

View Full Version : More Outlook email trouble..any help?????

Terry Hatfield
01-27-2004, 4:42 PM
Howdy,

Well here we go again with the email deal. Some of you may remember that I have one insurance co that uses an image grabber program to get my pics out of emial. AOL zips everything so I set up a new email account through Cox using Outlook Express.

Problem is, I am getting an assortment of errors when trying to email.

Server timed out, email address rejected by the server etc...

Sometimes it works fine, but most of the time it does not.

Cox is ZERO help. This is driving me nuts. If you just keep seding it will eventually go, but can take up to a day or two for it to send.

Anybody have any idea what this computer challenged dummy can do to try and correct this problem??? I desperately need this email to work. I MUST be able to send mails with attachments or I'm going to loose this company.

Terry

Lee Schierer
01-27-2004, 4:51 PM
For ease of use, I would suggest downloading and installing Netscape 7. Its free and it works quite well. Attachments are easy to do. It is a good browser, good email client, not targeted by virus people and it offers popup protection as well. It will pretty much self install if you already have outlook set up.

Terry Hatfield
01-27-2004, 5:26 PM
Lee,

Ok got it and it works. Only problem here is that Netscape only lets you attach attachments one at a time. I regularly send emails with 15 or more attachments. Kinda tedious one at a time. I sure wish I could get Outlook to work right. I can attach in bulk there.

Thanks,

Terry

Keith Outten
01-27-2004, 8:06 PM
Terry,

Your problem may be that Cox is like most ISP's and configures their mail server to prevent their users from sending so many emails/attachments in such a short time. This is done to prevent spammers from using their servers illegally and to prevent residential customers from using their network for commercial purposes. If you are not paying Cox at least $69.95 per month you are considered a non-commercial customer.

We have our mail server at HRO configured in a similar fashion, this is almost a standard thing for Internet Providers. We have to protect ourselves from the spammers, any network that isn't responsible will soon see their IP addresses blocked.

Joe Suelter
01-27-2004, 8:30 PM
I for one have tried Outlook Express, and hated it. I use Microsoft Outlook (very similar looking format). I also work for the cable company, and I have sent NUMEROUS attachments in e-mails. (big files too, pictures and small movies). If all else fails, give Microsoft Outlook a try.

Curt Harms
01-28-2004, 6:01 AM
Lee,

Ok got it and it works. Only problem here is that Netscape only lets you attach attachments one at a time. I regularly send emails with 15 or more attachments. Kinda tedious one at a time. I sure wish I could get Outlook to work right. I can attach in bulk there.

Thanks,

Terry
Hi Terry

I'm using Mozilla, which is very similar to Netscape, I think. I can attach multiple attachments to one message. Is the problem in attaching or in sending attachments, as Keith alluded to? Viruses don't seem to have anywhere near the affinity to Netscape/Mozilla that they have to MS stuff.

Terry Hatfield
01-28-2004, 8:18 AM
Keith,

I do have a commercial account with Cox. They insist that the problem is not them. I have this same trouble whether there are attachments or not. It's driving me crazier.

EX: Last night we completed a file with 5 atachments. Tried to send. Got the same old error...address rejected by the server. Tried multiple times with the same result. Gave up and went to bed. As soon as I opened OE this morning, it sent just fine.

Beats me.

Terry

John Miliunas
01-28-2004, 8:32 AM
Keith,

I do have a commercial account with Cox. They insist that the problem is not them. I have this same trouble whether there are attachments or not. It's driving me crazier.

EX: Last night we completed a file with 5 atachments. Tried to send. Got the same old error...address rejected by the server. Tried multiple times with the same result. Gave up and went to bed. As soon as I opened OE this morning, it sent just fine.

Beats me.

Terry

Terry, what is the name of their "Outgoing Mail Server" in your "accounts" detail? Often, you have something like: "mail.ISPNAME.com" for the outgoing server. Well, sometimes it's as easy as changing that to: "SMTP.mail.ISPNAME.com" for more consistent results. Good luck with that! BTW, we've got a number of folks here on campus using OE and sending a guzillion attachments through it with no issues. Personally, I prefer the full version of Outlook. :cool:

Terry Hatfield
01-28-2004, 8:42 AM
John,

SMPT: is already there in a box before the actual address. When I put it in the actual address, it says it's a invalid address.

Terry

John Miliunas
01-28-2004, 9:16 AM
John,

SMPT: is already there in a box before the actual address. When I put it in the actual address, it says it's a invalid address.

Terry

Grrrrr...OK, the only other thing I can think of, off hand, is that they may have specific "Security" setting (SSL and the such). Also, as a subscriber, I don't know if you have more access online to their FAQ/Support area, but I just went out there and, if you see all I see, then they don't have squatt! Real sucky support site! :cool:

Terry Hatfield
01-28-2004, 9:23 AM
John,

Cox and support should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. They are not much help.

They have a "special" support number for their commercial customers. If the support there is "special" I would hate to see what the regular folks get. The mostly specialize in "Nope, not our fault. Good luck".

Terry

John Miliunas
01-28-2004, 9:38 AM
John,

Cox and support should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. They are not much help.

They have a "special" support number for their commercial customers. If the support there is "special" I would hate to see what the regular folks get. The mostly specialize in "Nope, not our fault. Good luck".

Terry

Terry, that sucks! Your one indication (same old error...address rejected by the server) still tells me it's an issue at *their* end. Just for grins and giggles, try sending the whole file (w/attachments) to yourself. Just put your own email address in th TO: line and see what happens. If you get a weird error message then, call Cox and give them that information! :cool:

Chris Johnson
01-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Two things to consider Terry:

1. Make sure you don't need to authenticate on outbound mail. If you do, and you do not have that checked in your setup, you will get the message you are getting. We require authentication on our mail servers.

2. You should know, that the Internet backbone has been VERY problematic in 14 midwest states since last Friday morning. If you can not reach the destination server because of this, you can get the errors you are getting, and then later (as you said) it will go fine once they are back live. It has been a solid pain in the butt for me since it started.

John,

Terry