PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Oak Question

Tom Henry
08-27-2007, 10:54 PM
My neighbor might have to take down a Scarlet Oak.:eek: This tree has a very straight trunk and is about 60-70 feet. Will it be worth trying to get a mobile mill out here to mill it down for me when they take it down???:confused: Anyone have experience with this type of tree???

Gary Breckenridge
08-28-2007, 12:46 AM
:D That's one big tree; assuming that all the safety things are taken care of properly I'd say go for it. Get on the phone to some portable mills and see what the deal is for money or shares. Avoid the first six feet of trunk. If its a go then you will have to wax or paint the ends and then air or kiln dry all the wood. Do you have a friend to split the work and wood with after its all done? Would it take you months, years or decades to use all that wood?:D

joe greiner
08-28-2007, 7:28 AM
Be prepared to pay a hefty deposit for blade replacement in case of an encounter with embedded nails, spikes, rocks or whatever. I'd guess most commercial sawyers wouldn't touch an orphan tree without such a condition. A friend might not be so formal, but then it becomes a matter of honor.

Joe

Tom Henry
08-28-2007, 3:54 PM
That's it?? Is this type of wood furniture grade?

Don C Peterson
08-28-2007, 4:18 PM
As I understand it, the Scarlett Oak, when turned into lumber is virtually indestinguishable from, and often sold as, Red Oak.

A tree that size should yield quite a bit of prime lumber if you mill it right.

Steve Hilbert
08-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Scarlett oak is indeed in the red oak family and you almost cannot tell the difference between the two BUT scarlett oak tends to hold onto dead limbs longer than red and black (also in the red oak family). Which means you may encounter more knots and loose knots than red oak.

FYI
They (red, black and scarlett) can cross pollinate and create a hybrid which can create confusion as well.

But it should be good.

Steve