PDA

View Full Version : Walnut & Maple box (prototype #1) PIC cross posted

Brian Knodel
08-27-2007, 3:55 PM
I had to make a few jigs in order to make this box, most of the jigs allowed me to work at 45°.

The idea for this box came from the book called 400 wood boxes and the book has no plans so I made my own … hence the problem. The bottom portion of the box is supposed to have a lip on the top of the inside that the top will fit over. I got my measurements wrong so when I cut out the shape of the box I cut into the lip ruining the box and threw it out. One of the pros on the Canadian forum suggested a fix. I pulled the box out of the scrap bin and sanded the lip right off except for the corners of the box. The legs are template routed on the router table and the top and bottom are both raised panels. The finish is 6 coats of Don Kondra’s Secret Magic Mix. Better known as:

1 oz pure tung oil
1 oz spar varnish
2 oz paint thinner
Two drops of Japan dryer
Wipe on with a cloth let sit for ten minutes and then wring out the same rag and wipe off the excess. Don’t mix up more finish that you can used in a few days as the Japan dryer will caused the mixture to gel even in a sealed container.

Brian

Cut into the lip ... no room for sanding unless It's sanded right off

Supposed to look like this but still have room for sanding the bandsaw marks off

Fixed

Maurice Ungaro
08-27-2007, 5:41 PM
Nice beer!
Oh, and the box looks great too! The legs really make it come together.