PDA

View Full Version : How to shear scrape

Matt Chin
08-27-2007, 1:07 PM
Turning a figured maple bowl and my current turning skills are leaving a lot of tear out of end grain. I've learned that shear scraping will remove the tear out.

Can anybody give me some quick instructions on how to position and more the shear scraper? Need instructions for interior and exterior bowl surfaces.

Thanks, and this is a great forum. Looks like I won't be doing much work or sleeping in the next few days...

Mike Vickery
08-27-2007, 1:32 PM
Matt, what are you planning to use to shear scrape?
In other words are you going to use a scraper or your bowl gouge?

Philip Duffy
08-27-2007, 1:33 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head; you need instruction. Without a good instructor, or at the very least, a good library, you are going to fumble around with your lathe for years. I did and know what I am saying. A good instructor will save you life, your enthusiasm and preserve your good works for the future. Look around and see who you can find and get him/her on your schecdule. Check the roster at AAW and at the local WoodCraft store. Good people abound in this, the Golden Age of Turning. Phil

Matt Chin
08-27-2007, 1:40 PM
Mike,
I own a scarper, but haven't used it yet. Suggestions???

Mike Vickery
08-27-2007, 3:20 PM
If you can get someone to show you how in person that is best. However if you don't have someone locally here is my best description.
To shear scrape with a scraper on a bowl you need a different shaped scraper for the inside and outside of the bowl. For the outside you need a scraper that is has a straight edge and prefferably ground across at an angle (link bellow is a good example)
http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/tools.htm
Reduce to speed on your lather (sorry no digital readout so cant say how fast) Hold is at about a 45 degree angle and lightly pull it across the surface of the bowl. ( the above link has a good picture of the position). The more vertical you hold the edge the finer the cut. As you go more horizontal the cuts get more aggresive and the finish is not as good. Dont push the scraper into the wood just kind of drag it very lightly across the surface.
The process is the same on the inside except you would use a round nose scraper.
You know when you are doing it right because you will get very fine angle hair whisps coming off the tool.

Many people will use their bowl gouge to shear scrape the outside, the bellow link show the position of the gouge to do this.
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/shearscrape01.jpg

Good luck and be carefull. You might want to practice on scrap pieces before you try on your figured bowl.

Matt Chin
08-27-2007, 8:14 PM
Mike, Thanks for the great detailed information and links. I will heed your advise and try it on a scrap piece of wood first. Appreciate your advise...