PDA

View Full Version : Radius on a rectangle

Brian Robison
08-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi Creek folks,
I thought I'd seen this before but now I can't find it.
I need an even radius on the corners of a rectangle.
Squares are easy but what's up with the rectangle?

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Brian,

I was trying to reproduce the problem on my laptop... I think the issue you are facing was discussed and waived off as a V12 limitation of Corel. The X3 version keeps a even radius on corners no matter the size/shape of the box.

I believe it was solved by making a square - rounding your the edges and then stretching the box. Sorry I can't help more because I'm using X3.

I will offer to make a rectangle for you and email it if you can't get it to work for you... Just need the sizes and the amount of radius on the edge..

Gary Hair
08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Creek folks,
I thought I'd seen this before but now I can't find it.
I need an even radius on the corners of a rectangle.
Squares are easy but what's up with the rectangle?

Right click the object, select properties, the far right tab lets you set the radius - make sure you select Round Corners Together.

This is assuming you have X3, or that the previous versions have the same function.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
08-27-2007, 11:51 AM
A couple of things I have had issues with or done. One is that when I make the rectangle "close" to size, then type in the coordinates for it, the radii will be screwed up and I can't do a true round. For instance, drag out a 3" x 2" rectangle and then let go. Now go to the text boxes and change the dimensions to 4" x 2.5", and then try and round the corners using the shape tool. They are messed up.

I've never figured out how to correct that.

You can use the fillet/scallop tool, which appears to do a nice job once it's resized.

Mike Null
08-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I have found the most accurate way is to go to "window>dockers>fillet scallop chamfer. From there you can accurately set the radius to the dimension you want.

You must change the rectangle to a curve first.

Brian Robison
08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Gary,
I thought that did it at first but it's the same as I was doing.

Scott, I can't find the fillet tool unless I go to Auto Cad.;)

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Brian,

The Fillet/Scallop/Radius tool was added to X3 version. v12 Corel does not allow it... Sorry...

Steve

Brian Robison
08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
OK, I'll upgrade one of these days. Not a huge deal really. I just wanted a nicer corner.
I just did it manually by eyeball. It's for the plastic that's used in the name tag holders so it's pretty small
and probably won't be noticeable anyhow.

Mike Null
08-27-2007, 1:46 PM
Brian

This works just fine and it's free.

http://www.oberonplace.com/vba/drawmacros/roundcornerssh.htm

Brian Robison
08-27-2007, 2:32 PM
Thanks Mike,
You saved me again!

Aaron Koehl
08-27-2007, 4:16 PM
Thanks Mike,
You saved me again!
In a pinch, and in the absence of X3, a proper fillet tool, or a VB macro you can:

1. Draw your rectangle, stretch to the correct dimensions, record those dimensions. Then, delete that rectangle. Drag a new rectangle, but drag directly to the dimensions you need (in one shot). Then, round your corners. At this point, your rounded corners won't be stretched.

2. In the absence of a fillet, and supposing you need exact radiuses, there is another method I have used many times in the past. It's kind of drawn out to explain, but I'll gladly explain in more detail should anyone desire. Basically: Create your rectangle. Create a circle of the desired radius. Zoom in close (1000%), and place your circle tangent to the two intersecting lines. (For a rectangle or square, you can use Align Left and Align Top). Then, using the eraser, erase the "point" intersection of the two lines so that the lines technically meet behind your circle. Finally, WELD the circle to the rectangle. Voila.

Richard Rumancik
08-27-2007, 6:44 PM
Another option for users that don't have X3 and want to make properly radiiused rectangles: download RectIt from IsoCalc at

www.isocalc.com/cooltools/rectit.htm (http://www.isocalc.com/cooltools/rectit.htm)

It generally works pretty good for me, although once in a while it causes a hang, so make sure you save before opening it. The program is a little box that floats on top of the CorelDraw screen. Once you are done just close it.

Alexander James
08-27-2007, 6:45 PM
With corel v12, I usually use a method similar to Aaron No.1.
I draw a rectangle to the required dim (stretch or type values). Then drag a new rectangle in one shot over the first with the rect tool (easily snaps in place). You then pull aside the second rectangle...that's the one you use your shape tool on for perfect rounded corners. If you use the first one you get distorted corners.

Alex