PDA

View Full Version : advice please on two chunks of wood

Hilel Salomon
08-27-2007, 9:12 AM
Could you folks advise me on how to proceed with these. The first is the pie shaped walnut? Should I just go perpendicularly to one of the triangle sides? The second is a semi turned piece of burl a friend of mine gave me. It had already been cut into a wedge form, so I managed to make it into joined pyramids. My granddaughter suggested that I cut it in half to make two bowls, and my son suggested that I leave it and call it a volcano. Please keep in mind that my turning "skills" are very limited. In making about 75 bowls, I have gone from horrific to terrible to my current status of bad. I'll throw in some pictures of my "work" later.
Thanks, Hilel.

Tim Beauregard
08-27-2007, 10:19 AM
The second one reminds me a little of an iceberg. It could be turned with 90% of the shape "below the surface". No real advice from me as I am a rank amateur and have never turned a bowl.

Dennis Ford
08-27-2007, 10:37 AM
On the first one, consider cutting off the "tip" of the pie shape and using this cut as the bottom of the bowl.

The second would make two very nice bowls or one hollow form.
:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I would round the first one and cut a bowl from it and the second I would leave the shape and make it a hollow form.