PDA

View Full Version : Cutting leather

Russ Filtz
08-27-2007, 8:52 AM
Need to make a straight cut in leather, maybe 1/4-3/8" thick. Finished one side, rough the other. Best way to make the cut? Some sort of saw (TS, jigsaw, dremel)? Aviation snips? I don't have one of those dandy Bob Vila Sears cutters from TV, the kind where they snip through garden hoses with ease!

After the cut, how do you finish the cut edge?

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 8:59 AM
Russ,

How long is the cut? Not that it makes much difference - but I cut my leather on the laser. It not only cuts, but seers the edge. You may not know someone with a laser, but go to the laser folder and look up the list for Engravers to find someone local to you.

It that's not an option or the piece is too long for the laser - I use a straight edge with new razor blade in a utility knife. Slow, but can be pretty clean with patience...

Good luck!
Steve

Joe Pelonio
08-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I use the laser too, but certainly not worth the cost just for cutting leather once in a while.

Better than a standard utility knife is the smaller, thinner bladed ones like the Olfa:

Russ Filtz
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
It's a short cut, so the blade idea may work. I think I still have a razor type carpet knife somewhere. I HATE that thing! It's double sided so you have to be very careful when using it.

Al Wasser
08-27-2007, 10:34 AM
You might also look in the Yellow Pages for a saddle or harness maker. They are certainly equipped to do the cutting and finishing you need.

Steven Wilson
08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Nice long straight edge and a utility knife. You may consider tacking it down with some rubber cement so it doesn't shift on you. A rotating fabric wheel cutter works great too.

Doug Shepard
08-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I haven't cut any in a couple of years but the last time I did it the leather was pretty thick. I was having mixed results with the leather wanting to shift under a straight edge and my cut was a bit raggedy. I ended up clamping it tight between two pieces of scrap plywood with the edges lined up and the leather protruding, then rode the knife down the edge. I got a pretty clean cut going with that.

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Russ,

My partner just reminded me that his mat cutter could do leather to a certain extent... Along with a tack store, you might be able to find a Framing Shop that might make short cuts for you on their mat machine...

Steve

glenn bradley
08-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Straight edge as a guide and multiple passes with a sharp razor knife. The key to an accurate cut is patience; take three more passes if that's what it takes as opposed to more pressure.

Perry Holbrook
08-27-2007, 3:29 PM
I used too cut a lot of suede to line the bottom of boxes. The best thing I found was the rotary fabric cutters someone else mentioned. You still need the straight edge but the rotary wheel rolls on the leather making it much easier than the pulling of a knife. You can find the rotary cutters anywhere fabric is sold in the big box stores.

Perry

Belinda Barfield
08-27-2007, 3:50 PM
We cut a lot of leather and suede. You can't go wrong with a disposable surgical scalpel.

Russ Filtz
08-28-2007, 7:46 AM
Thanks for reminding me! I have a surgical knife from my days of making radio control airplanes stored away. Short career doing that! Couldn't stand the 5-sec flights after months of work!