PDA

View Full Version : Folding Wheel Assembly for Miter Saw Stand

Jim Crockett
08-26-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a miter saw semi-permanently mounted to a stand. In the summertime, I often use it and my table saw outside. I would like to be able to mount a drop-down, latching wheel assembly with 6" wheels so that it is easier to move it outside. The traditional power tool mobile bases don't work well on uneven ground because of their small wheels plus I have a 4" rise from my garage floor to the driveway, thus the 6" wheels.

Has anyone seen a wheel assembly that would fold up out of the way when the saw is being used and would then fold down and latch when I want to move the unit? Or perhaps someone will have an idea of how to fabricate such a device - I've given it a lot of thought and really haven't come up with any good ideas.

Any help would certainly be appreciated. I have a very bad back and carrying the saw outside is painful!

Thanks.

JimC

Eric McGill
08-26-2007, 11:45 PM
It sounds like you are looking for something similar to a project I'm starting to work on for my table saw. I have a fairly uneven floor as well. I saw some pictures of the Shopnotes #50 cart and was inspired by that. I think you may be able to find more pictures if you search. Here is a link to an older thread where someone built the cart.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18778

I went ahead and ordered a back issue of Shopnotes off of ebay.

You basically attach some swivel casters to a piece of hardwood and pin it at one end. Then there is a lever attached perpendicularly that you push down on with your foot and slide over to lock it in place. Unfortunately, I don't know if I can explain it better than that. Perhaps someone else that has built it may be able to draw, photograph or explain.

I have another magazine where they put a piece of pipe through as the pivot and attached a lever on the outside. I'll let you know if I can find it.

I have to make life difficult for myself and do things differently, I'll try to put up some pictures when I have a chance..

Curt Harms
08-27-2007, 8:33 AM
It sounds like you're describing Ridgid's MSUV. I have one from when Home Despot was selling 'em for $99. I believe there's a new model out, I haven't looked at it. The old version is well regarded, stout and convenient. I did hear the newer one is not as well built but haven't seen one.

Curt