PDA

View Full Version : Dispoz-A-Blade Problem

Jeffrey Schronce
08-26-2007, 8:21 PM
I purchased a new set of Dispoz-A-Blade holders and pos-sets from a forum member. It is a 15" knife set and goes in my 15" Delta 380. I have ran quite a few bf through the planer in the last year with no sharpening of the original blades.
My old set of blades were dull when I took them out but no nicks. Finish on walnut and plane oak was fine, figured woods such as QSWO and curly maple presented a problem with tear out. I know the Dispoz-A-Blade is not likely going to compete with Byrd spiral, but I expect performance about the same as the original knifes.
I ran across a Dispoz-A-Blade system, made by Esta for Grizzly which was a great deal (price was about same as 2 fresh edges considering shipping etc for sharpening). I set the posi-sets per instrucations, set the holder in the pocket and tightened gibs from center out. Every thing looks good. Didn't measure or anything as that is supposed to be what I am getting away from.
First cut resulted in tons of ridges in the surface with tear out of figured areas. Looks like what you would expect from a planer with knives which have nicks in them. Made a few more passes and found the same thing.
Tried walnut and oak and had some tear out along with the ridges. Seems I am in worse shape than when I began!
I know my rubber roller is in poor condition. Could that be resulting in the ridges? Any other suggestions? Should I get Colbat knives for the harder/figured wood?

David Werkheiser
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Jeffrey,
I had a set of Esta knives in my last jointer, a Powermatic 60. I, like you thought you could drop knives in, tighten and be done. After checking knife height, I found all 3 knives to be at different heigths, .002-.006. As you tighten the knife gibs, with a dial ind. resting on top of knife, you can see the dial move, and its different on all 3 knives. I now have a 12" Extrema with straight knives which I hope to change over to sprial soon.
DavidW