PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Big, Broken Oak Tree

Nathan Camp
08-26-2007, 1:56 PM
Due to a storm that came through on Friday, my parents lost the top of an several hundred year old oak.

The base of the tree is between 6 and 8 feet in diameter. The rest of the tree will be taken down.

They have a quote for $1500 to remove the tree and grind down the stump. I hate to see this wood go to firewood.

I know wood this large is hard to find. Are there people who can reclaim or use this wood.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, it is in north west Georgia.

Thanks,
Nathan

Andy Livingston
08-26-2007, 2:30 PM
There are some guys in the Atlanta area that run portable saw mills. I'm sure one of them would do it. Try this guy: chainhanger@hotmail.com
I have never met him but I have seen his posts on the woodworkers guilde of Georgia website.
Like I said, I don't know him so I can't vouch for him. I'm guessing there are a lot of guys like him that would like to have that old growth oak.

Andy

Kevin McPeek
08-26-2007, 7:11 PM
If it was something other than oak I'd say contact the local turning club and have a chainsaw party. That thing would be taken care of pretty quick. I've seen a lot of discussion about removal over at the arborist site, and some people willing to tell you if you are getting a fair bid.

Tom Keen
08-26-2007, 8:38 PM
The sad thing about large oaks is that they are almost alway rotten in the center to one degree or another. Which is why yours broke where it did. Depending on the amount of rot, there may not be a solid log long enough to interest a buyer. The other issue with your oak is that it would be considered an "urban" tree and therefore something a mill be reluctant to run a blade through because of metal..nails, wire, etc. But look around, and you might find a mill will to saw yours up for you, ie you pay and haul away the rough sawn lumber.

You might be able to salvage some short planks if you could find someone with a portable band saw. Thats one really large tree and it would be a challenge for most portable rigs but ask your arborist or look in the book for a logger who might have a lead on who might be local.

Since the tree means something to you and your family, make them somethig out of it. Its a nice way to memorialize a old tree.
Best,
Tom

George Guadiane
08-26-2007, 9:36 PM
http://AntiqueCentral.com/B
There are some guys in the Atlanta area that run portable saw mills. I'm sure one of them would do it. Try this guy: chainhanger@hotmail.com
I have never met him but I have seen his posts on the woodworkers guilde of Georgia website.
Like I said, I don't know him so I can't vouch for him. I'm guessing there are a lot of guys like him that would like to have that old growth oak.

Andy
Unfortunately, portable mills usually have a cutting capacity under 30 inches... If I read this right, the thing is as tall as (or taller than) I am, laying down. There is nothing portable that I know of that will cut this thing.
You will probably have a rough time finding anyone with a chainsaw big enough to cut it down, short of the pros.
I can't tell you about the price for your area, but around UpState NY, that is a pretty fair price (for a yard tree).
If you talk to the tree service, they might give you a short window to hack at this monster. Rotten or not, Oak or not, a tree that is that old MUST have some interesting wood, curly, crotches or something that would yield a beautiful turning (or thousands).
The slab right at the base should have FANTASTIC figure, get them to save you the bottom 3 or 4 feet. Anchorseal it and chop it into more manageable pieces as you have the time. There is a centuries old red oak across the street from me. It came down in a storm over a decade ago. The outside 4 or 5 inches has gone punky, but inside of that, about 40 feet from the base, it is 5 feet across and solid as a rock. I have to take it apart in sections... It makes beautiful turnings!

Dick Strauss
08-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Nathan,
Here are my thoughts...

I assume it is a live oak from the size but can't tell based on the picture. If it is a live oak, I don't believe that it will make good lumber because of the moisture content and the tendency to warp.

Even a tree that large can be cubed up using a 16" chainsaw. I cut my sister's willow tree down (a 4'x5' diameter across the oblong base) using my little Mac 16" saw. It goes much faster witha larger saw though.

Others are right about portable BS mills with limited capacity unless you find a guy with a Peterson Sawmill or similar. Also, a log that large will weigh so much not many people can handle it very easily.

There is one sawyer in Atlanta on the HUT list linked below. You can also try the second Woodweb sawyer's link to find other local folks willing to help you. There are about 15 sawyers listed for Georgia on Woodweb.

http://www.harvestingurbantimber.com/classifieds/mills.html

http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSSDGsawyers.html

Please let us know how you make out with your tree!

Good luck,
Dick

TYLER WOOD
08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Get as much with your own saw as you can!!! Simple as that! I have turned white oak with little success due to my turning abilities, but the stuff is very nice. If it's any other variety of oak, you shall be drawn tickled and quartered for allowing them to mulch it.

Nathan Camp
08-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice. The tree is being taken down. I got quite a few pieces of the oak, and a wild cherry tree that it took down as well.

nathan