PDA

View Full Version : New tool cab w/PICS

Terry Bigelow
08-26-2007, 1:47 PM
Even though I can't say that this was made using only hand tools, it is filled with them and I did use them, just not exclusively. Anyway, I made it to fit under my Grandpa's bench and stained it to match. It is all solid maple with casters underneath(hidden mind you) and some recess pulls rescued from a neighbor's trashed dresser. The top two drawers are french-fitted using a "flocking kit" I got from LV(awesome). The third drawer will be french fitted as well when I decide what stays in there. The bottom is full o' woodies and I think will stay that way. I plan on making a matching plane cab above the bench and a saw till on an adjacent wall.

Bruce Page
08-26-2007, 2:12 PM
Cool cabinet Terry, your color matching is perfect. How did you machine all of the great cutouts?

Mark Stutz
08-26-2007, 2:21 PM
Cool cabinet Terry, your color matching is perfect. How did you machine all of the great cutouts?

Ditto. Great way to protect edge tools! Great color match. It must be really neat to use that bench!

Mark

Dave Ray
08-26-2007, 3:35 PM
Terry, nice cabinet like everybody has said great color matching. I also like the idea of the hidden wheels. Recyled hardware looks great also. Thanks for pix.

Terry Bigelow
08-26-2007, 4:04 PM
How did you machine all of the great cutouts?
It's actually quite simple. I took 3/4" MDF and laid out the tools on it, then traced thier shapes leaving a slight gap for a good fit. Then drilled out the "finger holes" on either side of each tool and cut out the shape with a jig saw. Next I attached the MDF to a piece of 1/4" ply. After sanding religiously I primed the whole thing 3 times, sanding with 320 in between coats(I'm sure you know how MDF "opens up" when you machine it and will suck up paint so multiple coats were a necessity). After the last coat is nice and dry and has been sanded AGAIN, I sprayed on the green flocking adhesive paint. The adhesive has a 15-20 min open time so I quickly applied the flocking using the included applicator(imagine two sealed paper towel tubes, one slightly smaller fitting into the other with small holes at one end). After waiting a day I flipped over the finished piece and gathered up the extra flocking for the next drawer. Looks real nice and was inexpensive as well($20).

Bruce Page
08-26-2007, 6:16 PM
It's actually quite simple. I took 3/4" MDF and laid out the tools on it, then traced thier shapes leaving a slight gap for a good fit. Then drilled out the "finger holes" on either side of each tool and cut out the shape with a jig saw. Next I attached the MDF to a piece of 1/4" ply. After sanding religiously I primed the whole thing 3 times, sanding with 320 in between coats(I'm sure you know how MDF "opens up" when you machine it and will suck up paint so multiple coats were a necessity). After the last coat is nice and dry and has been sanded AGAIN, I sprayed on the green flocking adhesive paint. The adhesive has a 15-20 min open time so I quickly applied the flocking using the included applicator(imagine two sealed paper towel tubes, one slightly smaller fitting into the other with small holes at one end). After waiting a day I flipped over the finished piece and gathered up the extra flocking for the next drawer. Looks real nice and was inexpensive as well($20).
Your attention to detail shows, thanks for the explanation.

Michael Short
08-26-2007, 6:18 PM
Terry, Great looking cabinet. I like the cut outs that you did and it look great under the bench.

Jeff Wright
08-26-2007, 7:12 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Anderson NH
08-26-2007, 7:14 PM
Very nicely done Terry. I particularly like the way you separated and protected your marking and measuring tools. If you damage your marking and measuring stuff or if it gets dinged and knocked out of whack, every project you do in the future is impacted. Your Grandpa did you proud with that bench.

Kevin Adams
08-26-2007, 8:00 PM
Hi Terry--

Great addition to a great bench. What is the size of the bench and is it affixed to the wall or free-standing? If the latter, how does it hold up to planing? If you by chance had any photos of the stretcher system on the bench (with the tool cabinet pulled out or from the side), that would be interesting to see. I am looking for ideas for building a small bench like that myself.

Thanks and super job!

Take care,
Kevin

Michael Weber
08-26-2007, 8:38 PM
Your Grandpa would be proud.

Gary Herrmann
08-26-2007, 8:42 PM
Very nice tool cabinet. I like Grandpa's workbench too.

Matt Chantry
08-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Terry,

I'm wondering how long you have had the toolbox operational, and how has the Lee Valley flocking held up? I've never seen it in person, so I've never been able to get a sense of how tough a surface it makes.

Thanks, and great job.

Matt

Tyler Howell
08-27-2007, 7:48 AM
Very Nice.
Well done.

Robert Miller
08-27-2007, 8:37 AM
Beautifully done Terry. A testiment to your Grandpa and now to you.
Just awesome. The french fitting looks terrific and is a fitting home to your fine tools.
Congrats!

Terry Bigelow
08-27-2007, 8:52 AM
Hi Terry--

Great addition to a great bench. What is the size of the bench and is it affixed to the wall or free-standing? If the latter, how does it hold up to planing? If you by chance had any photos of the stretcher system on the bench (with the tool cabinet pulled out or from the side), that would be interesting to see. I am looking for ideas for building a small bench like that myself.

Thanks and super job!

Take care,
Kevin
Kevin, took some shots of the bench for you. Nothing too complicated here! As for the size, it is 50" long and 24" deep. It's all just 2x material except for the skirt, tool tray and rear stretcher(3/4"). And yes, it is attached to the wall. I drove several 3" screws through the rear stretcher and the back skirt into the studs. I did have it free standing in my last shop and it held up well but it's much better attached to the wall.

Matt, I've only had the cab up and running for about a month now so I can't say long term how it'll hold up. But, it seems pretty durable and considering how you use it, I can't imagine having problems except maybe the areas within the cut outs? It is suprising how firm it is though. I included a pic of the flocking kit too.

Mike K Wenzloff
08-27-2007, 9:05 AM
Wonderful work, Terry!

A really nice compliment to your grandfather's bench. The cabinet looks like it belongs--indeed, has always been with--your grandfather's bench.

Well done.

Take care, Mike

Terry Bigelow
08-27-2007, 1:08 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful comments. It's nice to see people appreciate your work! I cherish the few tools I have from my grandfather including the bench, Stanley SW #5, Stanley transitional and a mallet he turned. My mother always says he would be proud to know I put them to good use and value them so highly. I think of him often when using the bench and his tools. It's been almost twenty years since he left us but I know he is still with me in the shop. Thank you all so much. Terry

glenn bradley
08-27-2007, 1:27 PM
What can I say Terry? That is a thing of beauty. The pair look like they were a set. Great color match.

Kevin Adams
08-30-2007, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the additional photos, Terry. It looks like simplicity at its finest and very attractive, too. I'm sure you're doing yoru Grandpa proud wherever he might be.

Take care,
Kevin