PDA

View Full Version : Height adjustable outfeed table top

Ken Glass
08-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but have been hanging out at Wood for several years and been a WW for 30+. I am making a new outfeed table. I have been using this wheel and threaded rod and epoxied assembly ( (see attached picture) to adjust the height of the top on my old outfeed table top, then lower or raise it for project assembly. I came across some Oak dovetailed drawers that were 37x24x7" and thought what a great storage possibility for a newer bigger outfeed table. I am incorporating 6 of the drawers into the new bigger table. My question is this: Does anyone have a better/different method to make a height adjusted top. I found this method of height adjustment in a WW magazine several years ago and wondered if there was a newer idea.

Regards, Ken

Gary Keedwell
08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Ken....Welcome to the Creek. I think you know me from another Forum.;)
If there is an answer to your question....the knowledgeable group here will find it. Try the search function at the top of this page...it is pretty good.:)

Gary K

Ken Glass
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks Gary. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
It seems like a very easy forum to navigate around in. It also seems to have quite a lot of traffic also. I may have to use the old method to raise the top, but hey, you never know unless you ask, right? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Ken

Gary Keedwell
08-26-2007, 1:47 PM
Thanks Gary. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
It seems like a very easy forum to navigate around in. It also seems to have quite a lot of traffic also. I may have to use the old method to raise the top, but hey, you never know unless you ask, right? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Ken
Yea, and this is a slow day. Another feature here is the PM's (private messages). Comes in handy, sometimes;)
Gary

Jim O'Dell
08-26-2007, 2:09 PM
Ken, do you use this for adjusting the table then leave it alone? or do you use this everytime you change from outfeed to assembly and back? I found some great levellers from a friend that works for Xerox on installing their big machines. 2 1/8" adjustability, one side fine threads, the other coarse threads. Uses a spanner wrench to reach them under the table to adjust. But it's not something you would use to change height 4 or 5" everytime you changed function. I love to trouble shoot, so if you can clear up my foggy mind on what you are doing, I'd love to brain storm a little. Jim.

Ken Glass
08-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I change the height by 4-5" when I have a build on the bench. then back to TS height for ripping, etc. The present system works fine. About 10-12 cranks on each of 4 wheels raises it up or down. Although it is easier to go down than up. I can use the existing wheels if there is not a better solution.

Regards, Kenhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Don Bullock
08-27-2007, 9:47 AM
Ken, first of all welcome to the Creek. Personally I've found this a super place to communicate with other woodworkers. We have some experts here who are always willing to jump in and help those of us with questions as well as congratulate us on finished projects and tool purchases.

I've seen the plans for the adjustable height table you have and thought of building one myself. I think, however, that the best method for me will be the Noden Adjust-A-Bench http://www.adjustabench.com/. I'm pretty sure that the legs can be attached to a cabinet like the one you are building. At least right now,as soon as I have a shop big enough for a bench like that I'm leaning in that direction.

Keith Outten
08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Ken,

This is my answer for all of those who are looking for an adjustable workbench, out-feed table, etc.

These are available from Northern Tools or Harbor Freight, price depends on the capacity which seems to range from 300 pounds to over a thousand pounds. My advice is to get at least a 700 pound model if you are only going to purchase one. You can work or adjust the height anywhere that is comfortable. You can unload sheet material from your truck. use it as an out-feed table, for finishing, as a portable tool platform...you name it. Mine will drop to 10 inches from the floor and can be stood on end against the wall when I don't need it...which is never :)

I have now installed a couple of small inexpensive woodworking vises on one side which are really helpful for sanding and fab work. The plywood top is sacrificial and easy to replace when it becomes to worn or damaged. I now own five of these hydraulic tables.

This one is a 700 pound model and it unloaded my 1000 pound ten foot long crate ShopBot CNC router from my pickup truck into my shop without a problem. I park it beside my planer and use it as a holding station for lumber when making multiple passes. I slide plywood and other sheet materials from my truck to this table then roll the table to my ShopBot or table saw, then adjust the height to suit and slide the material right onto the tool without lifting a thing. I use it for painting and finishing, in fact I can't remember how many jobs I have used this table for since I purchased it.

Gary Keedwell
08-27-2007, 5:09 PM
Ken,

This is my answer for all of those who are looking for an adjustable workbench, out-feed table, etc.

These are available from Northern Tools or Harbor Freight, price depends on the capacity which seems to range from 300 pounds to over a thousand pounds. My advice is to get at least a 700 pound model if you are only going to purchase one. You can work or adjust the height anywhere that is comfortable. You can unload sheet material from your truck. use it as an out-feed table, for finishing, as a portable tool platform...you name it. Mine will drop to 10 inches from the floor and can be stood on end against the wall when I don't need it...which is never :)

I have now installed a couple of small inexpensive woodworking vises on one side which are really helpful for sanding and fab work. The plywood top is sacrificial and easy to replace when it becomes to worn or damaged. I now own five of these hydraulic tables.

This one is a 700 pound model and it unloaded my 1000 pound ten foot long crate ShopBot CNC router from my pickup truck into my shop without a problem. I park it beside my planer and use it as a holding station for lumber when making multiple passes. I slide plywood and other sheet materials from my truck to this table then roll the table to my ShopBot or table saw, then adjust the height to suit and slide the material right onto the tool without lifting a thing. I use it for painting and finishing, in fact I can't remember how many jobs I have used this table for since I purchased it.

Keith...Couple of questions for you if I may indulge. Is it easy to crank and does it stay fairly level at most heights?

Thanks,
Gary K.:)

Jim O'Dell
08-27-2007, 5:41 PM
Gary, these lifts are hydraulic pumps, like a floor jack. Should do the trick for you. The only other thought I had was to build a top the thickness of the difference between outfeed and assembly heights, and hing it so it drops off the side when not needed. But that poses some possible other problems with weight, hinges in the way of outfeed or assembly, and tippiing over in the down position. Another more high tech would be some air bladders that would raise and lower the top. Could get real expensive!!:D Jim.

Gary Keedwell
08-27-2007, 5:58 PM
Gary, these lifts are hydraulic pumps, like a floor jack. Should do the trick for you. The only other thought I had was to build a top the thickness of the difference between outfeed and assembly heights, and hing it so it drops off the side when not needed. But that poses some possible other problems with weight, hinges in the way of outfeed or assembly, and tippiing over in the down position. Another more high tech would be some air bladders that would raise and lower the top. Could get real expensive!!:D Jim.
Jim, I'm not the original poster but I started to get interested for myself. I looked it up and the max height is 28 1/2". I would need to put a portable top 6 1/2" to reach my TS which is 35" Something to ponder since it is only $130 at Northern Tool.
Gary K.

Doug Shepard
08-27-2007, 6:12 PM
I'm personally going with a Noden leg bench but I saw something a couple years ago that might work for you. Someone had a big assembly table that raised and lowered with some sort of hydraulic or electric actuators (not sure I've got the right term). I think it was sort of like 2 boxes. The bottom one was open on top with the bottom one open on the bottom and slightly bigger so it slipped down over the bottom one. All the lifting hardware was inside. I cant recall where I saw this. It's possible it was even here but I sure cant find it. Does this sound famiiar to anyone else that might know which forum this was posted on?

Keith Outten
08-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Keith...Couple of questions for you if I may indulge. Is it easy to crank and does it stay fairly level at most heights?

Thanks,
Gary K.:)

Gary,

Hydraulic tables are almost effortless to raise. For every ten pounds of down force on the pedal with your foot you get 100 pounds of upward force.

I found that the quality of most hydraulic tables increases with the purchase price. The 700 pound table I own is much more stable than the 300 pound models I use for small machines. The wheels are much better quality on the larger models as well. My tables are as level as my floor, the table top stays perpendicular to the floor when it is raised.

Try one, you can always return it if it doesn't suit your needs but I doubt you will :)

Gary Keedwell
08-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the info Keith. I just might get one because I can think of several applications.

Gary

Roland Chung
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Keith,

About how much would the 700 pounder cost at Harbor Freight?

RC

Ed Peters
09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
a long dowel on each corner of the table top that extends into a bore through each leg (many ways to create the thru bore), and a lifting cam on each corner with a 12" or so handle to provide leverage. Activate the two handles on one end and latch in place then repeat on the other end. The lift can be whatever dimension you cut the cam lobe to.

Ed
director of post graduate studies at the rube goldberg institute of remedial dentistry and iron mongering.