PDA

View Full Version : Quick little project

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Several weeks ago the lovely SWMBO and I went furniture shopping (couch and chair). While out the sales lady showed us some really neat tables (for a mear $1,000 each out of glass, metal and wood), guess what's on my drawing board. Anyways, we also looked at some small tables to sit along side a recliner. They wanted $500+ for something very simple. So, I decided it was time to build something. The material was left over from my Accent Table project (always buy 10-15% more then I need). While my other project was finishing up, I layed out the design and built it. Took about 4 hours to lay out, cut and assemble (added time for hardboard patterns) and a hour or so off and on to finish.

The wife just loves it and it fits real nice with the chair (of course I didn't take a picture of it in place). Maybe tonight I can shoot a copy and post. Anyways, dimensions 15"W x 20"L and 22"H. Oak base, again the picture does not expose the grain which looks awesome, and the top is Birdseye Maple. The finish is black and clear lacquer and a coat of wax. I was able to match the top where it is hard to tell it is three pieces. M&T joints (and a couple of brads) hold it all together. I wouldn't want to stand on it, but it is surprisingly sturdy.

Next on the agenda is a bed frame.

Rick Haigh
01-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Scott,
I really enjoy your designs. The table is another beautiful project. Thanks for the pictures, they inspire me to hurry up and finish my projects.

Thanks,
Rick

Jeff Skory
01-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Scott,

Really nice. Even as a beginner I am almost tempted to try something like that. How did you attach the stem to the tabletop?

Jeff Skory

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Scott
Very Nice!
Simplicity lends itself to form and function.
Daniel

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Jeff,

On the base I cut a thorugh mortise. The support has a tendon that goes through. I glued and then shot some brad up under the bottom at angles through the base into the tendon. The top has a mortise that is cut about 1/2" deep. Again, glue and to make sure it stayed square, I shot three brads through the top into the tendon. The filler I am using matches so well I couldn't find it at first after the finish. I would venture to bet if I said nothing, most folks would not realize there are brads. I had planned no brads, but my attempts at clamping were failures. I needed 6 hands and only had 2 available. The brads helped hold everything tight and in place while the glue dried.

As I mentioned, I started with some hardboard and made patterns. Before I cut anything out I made reference lines on the centers and also where the mortices needed to be. I was a life savor as I could set the patterns back ont he pieces and mark the reference points.

Try it you'll be amazed on how easy the project is. I cut the through mortise with my bench top before I glued the pieces together, but it could have easily been done with a sharp chisel and hammer. The one in the top was done with the chisel. You can use a drill to cut out most of the inside of the mortise and clean up with a chisel.

Jeff Skory
01-27-2004, 2:12 PM
Thanks for the info Scott. A brad nailer is one of the pieces of equipment I have not yet purchased. But based on watching Norm it gets used a fair amount.

Jeff Skory
01-27-2004, 2:31 PM
Good news. I just showed your pictures to my wife and she liked the table. Always much nicer to build something that will not be looked upon as an eyesore. ;)

Scott, still being a complete newbie at this hobby, how exactly did you finish the wood? If you have some brand names for the lacquer and wax I would appreciate it. I have a LOT to learn yet.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2004, 2:43 PM
Good news. I just showed your pictures to my wife and she liked the table. Always much nicer to build something that will not be looked upon as an eyesore. ;)

Scott, still being a complete newbie at this hobby, how exactly did you finish the wood? If you have some brand names for the lacquer and wax I would appreciate it. I have a LOT to learn yet.

Thanks,

Jeff

I am glad she likes it, build away. Its a simple sleek table that doesn't look like a box, so I love the design. I also like curves, gentle ones are the best.

Also feel free to try any wood combinations and finishes, but again I painted with Gloss Black and Gloss Clear Lacquer. Any brand is fine, I would prefer to go the route with auto paint that I can buy in gallons, but small projects don't make sense to do that if you don't do a lot at a time. When Payless Cashways closed, I bought about a dozen cans of Gloss Black and Gloss Clear (I think Red Devil). Just stop by the local borg or what ever you have, they should have something on the shelf that will work. I prefer to use lacquer over enamel.

I actually used a car paste wax on this sense I used lacquer. It seems to work real well together. Make sure it isn't a cleaner/wax. I tried it one and it ate into the finish (on a past project).

I think the brand I used was Blue Coral or something. It's something I have had in the shop for many years.

Jeff Skory
01-27-2004, 2:57 PM
Thanks Scott. If and when I build it I'll post some pictures.

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2004, 3:44 PM
You better add it to the do soon pile, sounds like the wife likes it.

Jack Diemer
01-27-2004, 5:08 PM
Did you build in some expansion room on that Tenon?

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2004, 5:58 PM
Ummmmm?????

Mark Singer
01-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Scott,
Very nice! Unusual form... a nice conversation table