PDA

View Full Version : Estate Auctions = Great Bargains

Leigh Costello
08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Today I picked up about 30 square feet of cherry, mahogany, and black walnut laminate for $1.00. :eek: A local lady had passed away and her family had no idea what they were giving up. She was a furniture restorer with a great deal of talent. I would have loved to have seen her workshop in action.

There was a lathe - with its own metal roll around cart and the kind of casters that can be retracted that went for $1.00. :eek: I missed this bargain, but got a hand made cedar coffee table for a buck. The Craftsman drill press brought $3.00.

Then, much to my dismay, a large hand made bookcase with glass doors got bumped and fell on my leg. The fella who did the bumping said "did that hit you?" to which I replied, rather sarcastically, "no, I always let blood run from open wounds." So, now that I am bandaged and mildly sedated with a cold malt beverage and some IB, I can look back and say it was an okay day.

The moral of this story is make sure your families know what your tools are worth and stay away from large bookcases. ;) BTW, my hubby did very well, he kept his cool and picked up pizza for supper. My hero. :p

Jon Lanier
08-27-2007, 3:42 AM
That is great! Too bad about the lathe though. If you can I'd like to see pics of your new found treasures!!!

Jeff Bower
08-27-2007, 3:34 PM
The last auction I went to was at the house of a retired/deceased owner of a hardware store. The family made more from the sale of his tools than all the furniture, china and cars that was also for sale. About 75 Stanley planes, lots of perfect condition old iron, delta, oliver, powermatic. I suspect many of the purchasers were woodworking buddies of the deceased as they would start the bidding higher than the auctioneer asked on a few items.

Sometimes you hit the motherload for cheap at auctions and other times its just fun to watch what things go for...either way it's fun.

what kind of lathe was at the auction?

Belinda Barfield
08-27-2007, 3:45 PM
Good find Leigh! It must have been the weekend for estate sales. I went to a sale for the estate of August Coppola, brother of Francis Ford Coppola, and father of Nicholas Cage. House was really neat. Lots of antique tin toys, crystal, lighting, movie posters, and books galore. No wood working tools though. Had a great time!

Karamae Velez
08-28-2007, 1:50 AM
That is great! Too bad about the lathe though. If you can I'd like to see pics of your new found treasures!!!

Really great! Can anyone post the pics here?

Joe Mioux
08-28-2007, 6:46 AM
Really great! Can anyone post the pics here?

Rule # ____ I forget which number it is but there is a rule. ;)

If pictures AREN'T posted of a gloat, the event didn't happen.

Yes, pictures are welcome here at smc.

Leigh Costello
08-28-2007, 3:29 PM
OK, for all intents and purposes, never ever leave your digital camera where the new dog can find it.:(

The laminate/veneer is being photographed by my oh-mom-i'm-so-busy-can-i-do-it-later daughter. Soon as I get a pic, I will post.

The lathe had a 1hp motor, lots of tool rests that looked to be "customized" for this lady. No nameplate was on the machine, but the lathe bed was yellow. Not being well versed in brands, I have no idea what brand it was.

Ironically, the lathe chisels sold for about $15 each. I am going to talk my hubby into going back over to the house this evening and picking thru the leftovers (just in case someone forgot something). Since I have since developed bronchitis he should be agreeable. ;)

Leigh Costello
08-28-2007, 3:30 PM
Belinda,
Cool auction like that, you should invite us all down to go with you.:D