PDA

View Full Version : Shop cabinet from old growth Fir

Greg Funk
08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Here are a few shots of a sink cabinet I made for my shop recently from some Fir leftover from our house construction. We had some fairly large timbers (up to 12 x 24") cut from some old growth fir and I tried to use up the off-cuts.

The drawers are inset and rabetted with half-blind dovetails.

Comment or advice are always appreciated.

Greg

Kendall Landry
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Thats pretty stuff Greg!!! What did you cut the timbers up with?

john white
08-25-2007, 10:45 PM
beautiful job greg

Greg Funk
08-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Thats pretty stuff Greg!!! What did you cut the timbers up with?
A laguna 16hd. Most of the pieces I used were smaller either 3x12 or 6x12's.

Peter Pedisich
08-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Greg,

That is a very nice piece.
I love fir with tight growth rings like that, it's actually my hands-down favorite for interior trim and millwork.

Pete

Bert Johansen
08-26-2007, 1:04 AM
I agree with Peter--old growth fir is stunning. Lovely job, Greg. I especially like the router bits in the drawer. Every bathroom needs such a drawer. . .

Don C Peterson
08-26-2007, 1:04 AM
That's some nice work! I really like the natural finish that shows off the woods' natural beauty. The nice straight and tight grain is really complemented by the simple lines of the cabinet and doors.

john tomljenovic
08-26-2007, 2:13 AM
thats nice greg! I am replacing the support posts in my moms house this week that will leave me with five 90 year old 6x6 fir timbers, very hard old growth stuff. your cabinet work inspires me to make something out of them.

keep up the good work

John Bush
08-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Greg,
Very nice cabinet. There is a place just south of you in Edison-Bow Wa. that reclaims old timbers. I believe it is Duluth Hardwoods(??) I visited once and they were resawing old growth fir from a beam that was 24" X 40". The wood had a beautiful color and most was being used for doors and trim for the highend .com-ers out here. They also had a stack of 12" X 12" hand hewn chestnut(per their description) beams from a barn in Penn. They were for a timberframe lake house to be built on Lake Wenatchee. Good source for old growth stuff. John.

Bruce Page
08-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I love the tight grain. If it weren’t for the router bits I’d swear that it was destined for a upscale home.
Very nice

John Browne
08-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Wow! Gorgeous...my absolutely favorite wood, other than teak on boats. Old growth getting pretty hard to come by now.

Johnbro

Greg Funk
08-26-2007, 6:13 PM
All, thanks for the nice comments it was a fun project.

Greg

Chris Brault
08-26-2007, 8:54 PM
Yes, that is a real nice piece you made.

I've got quite a bit of old growth fir in my shop (mostly under 6'). I worked at an old growth sawmill at Toutle , Washington (by Mt. St. Helens) from 1991-2001, and really "kick" myself now for not taking more of this stuff home back then. We had no good markets for stuff under 6', and for the first two years had no market for 1X2's, and 1X3's. I just recently go into woodworking (last couple of years) and wish I would have saved more. Now I see why the Japanese loved the stuff so much!

They still cut up there and I go visit sometimes, but they have a hard time getting the real tight grain stuff. They are cutting alot of oversize red fir (150-250) year old stuff, and get clear vertical grain out of some of that stuff, but not like that!!!!

Kyle Stiefel
08-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Greg,

That is very nice, heck I wish the stuff in my house was of that quality, let alone the shop. Great work.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-27-2007, 7:13 AM
That looks great! The fir gives it a Scandanavian appearance. Well done.
-Jeff :)

Luciano Burtini
08-27-2007, 6:35 PM
Very nice cabinet. I had to look twice when I saw the router bits in the "bathroom vanity".

We used to frame houses (interior of BC) with Douglas Fir. Many homes had 2 x 10 fir subfloors over the 2 x 10 fir joists. Our family construction company also used to build door and window frames from fir. Often, this was hand selected from the framing lumber and put aside to dry before being milled into the appropriate sizes. Try and do that with todays framing lumber!

Too bad there are so few of these magnificent trees left..

http://www.vannattabros.com/adospics/22fir.jpg

Dixon Peer
08-27-2007, 6:46 PM
Very nice. But to me, the drawer fronts look like they overlay the cabinet frame, so they're not inset drawers if that's the case. But a very nice job in any event.

Greg Funk
08-27-2007, 7:31 PM
Very nice. But to me, the drawer fronts look like they overlay the cabinet frame, so they're not inset drawers if that's the case. But a very nice job in any event.
Well I don't know exactly what you call them, maybe partial overlay as the drawer fronts are rabbetted. Perhaps this picture shows it better.

Greg

Greg Funk
08-27-2007, 7:34 PM
Too bad there are so few of these magnificent trees left..

http://www.vannattabros.com/adospics/22fir.jpg

Luciano,

That's a great picture! Any family members in there? I could build at least another few cabinets from that one...

Jeffrey Schronce
08-27-2007, 9:28 PM
If only every sink cabinet was full of router bits . . . .

Excellent work!

glenn bradley
08-27-2007, 9:59 PM
Shop sink? I've lived in houses back in the day that didn't have that nice of a vanity. Very nice work. Like the clean lines.