PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit

Don Abele
08-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I recently had the good fortune of meeting Bill Grumbine while he was in Cape Cod. He drove an hour or so north for the visit.

I gave him the full five and half cent tour of the ship and our workshop used to maintain her in her 1812 configuration. From the spar deck to the keel, and the 50HP 4-sided planer to the 4 foot chop saw.

Bill brought a bunch of "show and tell" pieces - AMAZING work.

After the tour we had lunch and enjoyed talking about a diverse range of topics. He truly is an amazing man.

I've only had the good fortune of a couple of Creeker visits and all of them have been amazing.

If anyone finds themselves heading towards Boston, be sure to drop me a line.

Oh, and the picture to prove it all...

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
08-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Doc.................I am extremely envious!.............Two of the people I'd like to meet............At the perfect place!

Jim O'Dell
08-25-2007, 1:06 PM
Great meeting! The personal tour of the ship would be more than worth the 2 hours drive! Jim.

Bruce Page
08-25-2007, 1:24 PM
Great meeting! The personal tour of the ship would be more than worth the 2 hours drive! Jim.

I toured her back in the mid 90’s, awesome ship! I would love a behind the scenes tour and to meet Don!

Green with envey

Art Mulder
08-25-2007, 2:55 PM
Sounds like a great time, I love touring old ships and stuff like that.

But, ya know you got yerself a UFO up in the top-right corner of that photo... :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-25-2007, 3:18 PM
That's because Bill hasn't taken up Stinsonizing yet!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

John Shuk
08-25-2007, 8:39 PM
Bill is a nice guy. I had the chance to meet him at a symposium.

Steve Clardy
08-25-2007, 8:59 PM
Sounds like you both had a great visit:)

Jack Hogoboom
08-25-2007, 9:44 PM
I've nearly been there and done that. I was fortunate enough to take a class from Bill right before he made the DVD that has made him famous. what you see on the DVD is exactly what you get in person. I had a great time.

I was also fortunate enough to be about the Constitution when she made her first voyage in Boston Harbor after her refurbishing. My brother was chosen to represent the state of Texas and was allowed to have four people in total on board. She is an amazing living piece of American history. And she is still a commissioned Naval vessel. When we were aboard, all of the officers and crew were in period dress and the military pageantry and precision was nothing short of amazing. Something I will remember always.

I wonder if they still do that....

Jack

Don Abele
08-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Jack, you are absolutely correct. The Constitution is still commissioned - she is the oldest commissed warship afloat in the world.

I am stationed aboard her as the Command Senior Chief. The 63 active duty Sailors that man her work for me. We do dress in a period 1813 uniform for tours throughout the day and anytime we take her underway for sail demonstrations (like we just did this past Friday and will do again this upcoming Friday).

We are getting ready for another major refurbishment starting in October which will last about 2 years. We are replacing the entire Spar Deck (that's the top deck exposed to the weather). It's in great shape, but it's flat - originally it would have been cambered (curved) to the outboards to allow water to wash off the deck. The deck was flattened sometime in the 40's when she was being used as a receiving ship (berthing).

Once we start this overhaul the ship will not look like she does now until it is completed. We have to remove all the rigging and masts which extend above the fighting tops (white platforms commonly called crow's nests). The ship will remain open for tours as we will be removing the deck in sections to ensure access to the public.

So between now and October is the best time to visit - after that I'd recommend waiting until the overhaul is complete.

Be well,

Doc

Gary Keedwell
08-25-2007, 11:46 PM
I've nearly been there and done that. I was fortunate enough to take a class from Bill right before he made the DVD that has made him famous. what you see on the DVD is exactly what you get in person. I had a great time.

I was also fortunate enough to be about the Constitution when she made her first voyage in Boston Harbor after her refurbishing. My brother was chosen to represent the state of Texas and was allowed to have four people in total on board. She is an amazing living piece of American history. And she is still a commissioned Naval vessel. When we were aboard, all of the officers and crew were in period dress and the military pageantry and precision was nothing short of amazing. Something I will remember always.

I wonder if they still do that....

Jack
Don't want to sound like a twirp... but can you tell me what DVD Bill did?
Gary

Randy Moore
08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey Don,
Man, you lookin' kinda PUNY:confused: :eek: :) . Don't they feed you in the service? I am envious, too, both gentlemen I would like to meet.

Randy

Keith Starosta
08-26-2007, 9:20 AM
Jack, you are absolutely correct. The Constitution is still commissioned - she is the oldest commissed warship afloat in the world.

I am stationed aboard her as the Command Senior Chief. The 63 active duty Sailors that man her work for me. We do dress in a period 1813 uniform for tours throughout the day and anytime we take her underway for sail demonstrations (like we just did this past Friday and will do again this upcoming Friday).

We are getting ready for another major refurbishment starting in October which will last about 2 years. We are replacing the entire Spar Deck (that's the top deck exposed to the weather). It's in great shape, but it's flat - originally it would have been cambered (curved) to the outboards to allow water to wash off the deck. The deck was flattened sometime in the 40's when she was being used as a receiving ship (berthing).

Once we start this overhaul the ship will not look like she does now until it is completed. We have to remove all the rigging and masts which extend above the fighting tops (white platforms commonly called crow's nests). The ship will remain open for tours as we will be removing the deck in sections to ensure access to the public.

So between now and October is the best time to visit - after that I'd recommend waiting until the overhaul is complete.

Be well,

Doc

Hey Don....uhhh....may I ask what is going to happen to the old decking once it is removed? ;) :D I'm sure there are more than a few of us who'd LOVE to have a piece of two of it....:D

- Keith

Don Abele
08-28-2007, 8:16 PM
Keith, as you might imagine, we've been getting asked that question a lot.

Unfortunately, all the wood will be disposed of. I don't have the exact date when this decking was replaced last, but they used arsenic treated wood. Which makes it all hazmat.

The wood going in will be untreated douglas fir and white oak. The white oak extends about 6-8 feet from the gunnels and was used to support the added weight of the guns. The rest of the deck is douglas fir. We will seal the deck with a penetrating sealant which will get renewed periodically. With the salt water we use to wash the decks, they will turn black quickly.

Be well,

Doc

Gail O'Rourke
08-28-2007, 9:30 PM
Don, hey, I may just bring the kids up - I am in Plymouth. Very cool.

Gary Keedwell
08-28-2007, 9:51 PM
Don, hey, I may just bring the kids up - I am in Plymouth. Very cool.
Hey Gail, I was Plymouth Sunday....visited the Craft Fair downtown. I grew up in Middleboro but live in Wareham now.....small world.:)

Gary K.

Don Abele
08-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Gail, if you're interested, please send me a PM and we can work out the details. I'm actually away right now, but will be back to the ship after Labor Day.

Be well,

Doc

Dennis Peacock
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Don't want to sound like a twirp... but can you tell me what DVD Bill did?
Gary

Gary,

Bill Grumbine actually has 2 woodturning DVD's on the market. Basic Bowl Turning and Beyond The Basic Bowl (IIRC!!??). Both are excellent and very helpful to those interested or are already turning wood.

Dennis Peacock
08-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Congrats Don on your most recent Creeker Visit with Bill. It's always good to see people getting together with WW'ing in common. :D

Gary Keedwell
08-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks Dennis, but I beat you to the punch and did some research. ;) Gonna file the info until I get the turning bug. Like alot of guys my age, I want to experience all the recipes in the woodworking cookbook.:)
Gary K.

Charles Wilson
08-29-2007, 12:24 AM
We will be taking the to Boston 3 to 4 times a year now as my daughter is now a patient at the Joslin Center for Daiabetes. We went the the Science Center this time. We were just there and would have loved to see the ship. FIL is nuts about stuff like that since he was in the military. Would have been a real treat. Maybe I will have to catch you the second time around. Next trip is in November.

Chuck

Jim Becker
08-29-2007, 12:04 PM
'glad you had a nice visit with Bill, Don. The ship is on my list of future " 'Creeker visits", too...