PDA

View Full Version : Planer Lub

Don L Johnson
08-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a Jet JWP-15CS Planer and I need to change out the gearbox oil. The manual calls for 50W gear oil, but I can't find it in any of the auto parts stores. One fella said it was "old school". Does anyone know if there is an alternative or a multi-weight that is okay? Thanks, Don Johnson

Scott Banbury
08-25-2007, 1:06 PM
Depending on where you are, you may need to go to a truck (big rig) parts store or tractor/farm supply. NAPA always has it here in Memphis though. It's non-detergent gear oil. Differential oil would probably meet the same specs.

Josiah Bartlett
08-25-2007, 1:55 PM
You need to be careful with viscosity ratings on oil- gear oil and motor oil have different scales. 50 weight motor oil is approximately equivalent to 90 weight gear oil in viscosity.

There are two types of gear oil as well, standard transmission gear oil and hypoid oil. Hypoid oil has friction modifiers in it for the differential gears, but it can be hard on synchronizers because its too slippery. I doubt your planer really cares about that, but you may wish to call Jet and ask them what API type/rating oil they intend for you to use and maybe a source for it.

chris del
08-25-2007, 3:29 PM
Worm gear reducers are very common in industry, call your local bearing and power transmission distributor and they will be able to sell it to you by the liter. Boston gear and Hub City gear are a couple of the companys that sell it under their brand name....