PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Deluxe 14" BS, how is it packaged?

Dewayne Reding
08-25-2007, 9:30 AM
Not so stealth gloat I suppose. There's a Rikon on it's way to my house! My work actually, so I can put it in the truck with our forklift. When I get it home, I have to take it down the stairs. Am I going to need to arrange for some help to get it in the basement and assembled, or is it manageable with a handcart?

Did I mention I ordered a Jet mini lathe week too? Next week should be fun.

Patrick Taylor
08-25-2007, 9:47 AM
I just got mine. It's in a cardboard box, with all but the base cabinet assembled. They use styrofoam inside to hold the pieces. It weights about 250 lbs, and could be taken downstairs with the handtruck, but I would recommend opening the box outside, and then you alone could move the cast iron table downstairs, then the base cabinet pieces, and then get help carrying the saw part downstairs. That last part is only about 125-150 lbs (the table and cabinet are pretty heavy).

Dewayne Reding
08-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks Patrick, that is how most of my tools have made it downstairs. I am glad to hear I won't have to disassemble the BS too much, since I know so little about proper setup of it.

Curt Harms
08-25-2007, 2:58 PM
I just got mine. It's in a cardboard box, with all but the base cabinet assembled. They use styrofoam inside to hold the pieces. It weights about 250 lbs, and could be taken downstairs with the handtruck, but I would recommend opening the box outside, and then you alone could move the cast iron table downstairs, then the base cabinet pieces, and then get help carrying the saw part downstairs. That last part is only about 125-150 lbs (the table and cabinet are pretty heavy).]

I opened the carton and removed the table to reduce the weight. I then slid the rest of the saw in the carton and still securely in the styrofoam packing to the basement steps, tied a web strap around the carton with the saw still in it and slid it down the steps in using the web strap as a handle to control the descent, worked great:D. As for getting it back UP stairs if necessary,:(.

I also used a come along hooked to the steel beam to lift the saw onto the base. Web clamp around the upper portion of the saw, hook the come along to the web strap and raise it up. Worked fine.

HTH

Curt

Patrick Taylor
08-25-2007, 7:42 PM
]

I opened the carton and removed the table to reduce the weight. I then slid the rest of the saw in the carton and still securely in the styrofoam packing to the basement steps, tied a web strap around the carton with the saw still in it and slid it down the steps in using the web strap as a handle to control the descent, worked great:D. As for getting it back UP stairs if necessary,:(.

I also used a come along hooked to the steel beam to lift the saw onto the base. Web clamp around the upper portion of the saw, hook the come along to the web strap and raise it up. Worked fine.

HTH

Curt

Great idea! and you could also remove the smaller box with the steel stand plating inside to reduce the weight further.