PDA

View Full Version : Small stile and rail router bit set for thinner material?

Dewayne Reding
08-25-2007, 9:24 AM
I have been making rails and stile (face frames?) for NYW inspired Shaker clocks. Using my dado to create rabbets for the rail and stile joinery. Having trouble getting consistently tight joints. Too many hours of time invested in a stile or rail, and only 60% of them are acceptable to me. I'm sure the problem is me, but I would like to try a different method for now.

So now I am looking for a decent stile and rail rail router bit set for use with thinner materials. Stock will typically be 1/2 or 5/8 inches. Am I on the right track to turn to the router, and perhaps a coping sled like Rockler sells? I haven't found many sets suitable for 5/8 material. Just one from Lee Valley, and not sure of the brand.

A simple roundover bit appearance is quite acceptable.

Mike Spanbauer
08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, the good news is that shaker profiling can be accommodated many ways.

Freud sells an adjustable "tenoning" set (I can check on the part number later as I own it) that can adapt to the width of practically any rail. Stiles are accomplished with the opposing single cutter.

An alternative is to not look for raised panel sets, but rather single pass tenoning bits (multiple cutter) and then all you need to do is dado the rail to accept the stile profile cut by the tenon cutter.

Hopefully that gives you a couple of idea's to get moving again. Would love to see pics once complete.

mike

John Mihich
08-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Try CMT bits. I don't have their site but do have one of their smaller sets and it has worked well for years.

Jamie Buxton
08-25-2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_186-2815 is a group of doormaking bits which can make doors 5/8" thick. They can go down close to 1/2" thick.

Dewayne Reding
08-25-2007, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys. If you get a chance Mike, please post the Freud P/N and I'll take a look. I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you are describing. I assume you are describing a modern way to make a Shaker "rabbet type" rail and style? I'd be interested in that. I what to make a few in a simple style.

glenn bradley
08-25-2007, 2:47 PM
Jamie's got it. If you do a lot of it and want the bits FWW rated as longest lasting:

http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=175

No affiliation.

Mike Spanbauer
08-25-2007, 3:11 PM
Hi Dewayne,

The set I use is Here (http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/router_bits/Router_Bits/Tongue_Groove/html/Tongue_Groove_1.html).

In essence, shaker panels are often 1/4" stock and you just cut a groove. I didn't describe the set all that well this morning (pre-coffee) so the link works better.

In essence, it's adjustable for the groove in which the panel sits for 1/4-1.25" stock. Quite a bit of adjustment available for multiple doors.

Those other minature sets works too, I just found the Freud set works better for me.

Cheers,

mike

Don L Johnson
08-25-2007, 5:26 PM
Ditto on the CMT small raised panel bit sets; my first use was for In/Out boxes and they work well for that.