PDA

View Full Version : kitchen worktop

ken maughan
08-25-2007, 4:15 AM
I am fitting new beech worktops and need some advice
First I need to put a 6.3mm round edge on the front of each top. I have bought a roundover bit size (25.4x11.1x6.3mm with 1/2" shank with a bearing on the end How do I set the bit up in my router to overhand rout the worktop
The distance from the top of the shank to the top of the bearing is 11.1mm
What shoud be the distance from the underside of the base plate to the end of the bearing to enable me to correctly rout the worktop

My second question is I need to fit rebated timber upstands size 80mm high 18mm thick with a 40mmx9mm rebate what is the best method of fixing ie to the walls
and slide the worktop in which will push any sealant of of the side upstands as they move forward Or fix with sealant to the worktop first and try and push the whole thing into position

Thirdly what is the best or easiest method of joining the side upstands to the back ie scribe or mitre

Last how do i use the worktop jig to cut the tops to length

Steve Schoene
08-25-2007, 9:22 AM
You probably don't want to make this roundover in one cut, but to make a rough cut, and then advance the bit a small amount to make the final cut. This will greatly reduce the risks of tear out and burning. This isn't the sort of thing I would measure, but would just sight along the base and adjust the bit increments until the top curve of the bit is still a bit (a mm perhaps) above the base. Then after the first pass, adjust in small increments until the top curve is just flush to the base. Test on scrap to see if you have it right.

Can you post a picture or drawing of the upstands? I don't quite see what is needed.

ken maughan
08-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi steve
visit www.hardwoodstore.co.uk/worktops/worktop_installation_1.htm (http://www.hardwoodstore.co.uk/worktops/worktop_installation_1.htm)
you will see a sketch

ken maughan
08-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Steve correction www.hardwoodfloorstore.co.uk/worktops/worktop_installation_1.htm (http://www.hardwoodfloorstore.co.uk/worktops/worktop_installation_1.htm)