PDA

View Full Version : Craft Applications for the Laser

James Meagher
08-24-2007, 5:52 PM
I was wondering if anyone is using their laser for craft applications. My wife would like to find a way to the laser in it's down hours for something that she enjoys. She enjoys paper crafts (scrapbooking) as well as fabric (quilting) etc. She also likes designing wood picture frames/albums but we have been having trouble sourcing a supplier. Are most of you making your profit on custom orders or is anyone doing duplicate products (mass production) for different markets.

Anyone that has any experiences that could help us out would be great.

Thanks,

James Meagher

Darren Null
08-24-2007, 6:08 PM
2 good places to start in this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=63699

Also, you can zizz a design onto denim with the laser- other fabrics will be doable too.

Craig Hogarth
08-25-2007, 1:33 AM
I was doing a lot of scrapbook stuff a while back, but after raising prices to become profitable, orders stopped totally.

I still do it on occasion for my wife. White core cardstock is the best way to go. If you have photograv, invert the picture and use the stone setting. I was doing 25p and 100sp.

Also, chipboard is extremely easy to work with and you can make some fairly intricate designs.

Mike Null
08-25-2007, 8:08 AM
I just bought some wood from this place yesterday. I hadn't been to the store in quite some time and couldn't believe the selection of hardwoods they have now.

But they have a 25 watt laser that they run full time making craft type items which they sell over the internet.

http://www.woodnshop.com/

Joe Pelonio
08-25-2007, 6:48 PM
My biggest customer is wholesale production work for a company that sells quilting templates online and at shows. Individual custom quilt templates are done very infrequently, because of the design time driving up the cost. people send a hunk of cardboard cut to shape, and we have to convert it to a vector file. Have her make up samples and take them to local quilt shops and clubs.

I have done a few jobs for people involved in scrapbooking, but again, if you want to make money on it try making a lot of sample letters and graphics and try to sell them wholesale to craft an scrapbooking stores. I can't imagine trying to make money with a laser doing individual paper cutting orders one at a time.