PDA

View Full Version : How does the T2 fence compare to a Bies?

Josiah Bartlett
08-24-2007, 2:01 PM
Or to the unifence? I've been unable to find any really unbiased reviews on line. Just curious how they stack up. I've been looking to upgrade the 50" Jetlock fence on my unisaw but don't want to spend the big bucks on a 50" Bies if there isn't a need to- I'm just a weekend warrior.

Matt Moore
08-24-2007, 2:26 PM
I doubt the T2 fence would be a significant upgrade to your Jetlock fence if any at all.

The Bies & Unifence are both commercial quality fences. Both have there supporters and both have been proven for many years in the industry as work horses. Bies has a larger following but there are plenty that love the Unifence. I had the Uni and liked it.

If you truely want a upgrade and are just a weekend warrior, you can't go wrong with a Incra. I went to it from a Uni and while I like the Unifence, I looooovvvvvveeeee my Incra. :)

David DeCristoforo
08-24-2007, 3:22 PM
The Unifence has one big advantage over either the Bies. or the T2, that being the fact that you can move the fence from "front to back" as well as from side to side. Very handy in many situations...

Greg Cole
08-24-2007, 3:40 PM
I have a T2 on a Delta contractor saw in the shop at the day job. It's not a bad fence, but all we use that saw for is building crates for machinery nothing too precise needed for that. It's definately not on par with Bies or Uni ....IMO.
At home I went from the General clone of the Bies to an Incra and can say the Incra style is great. I like having the t track on the fence for jigging up.

Cheers,
Greg

Gary Muto
08-24-2007, 4:35 PM
I have the T2 on an Delta Industrial saw. It's OK, not as rugged as a Bies. If you load the fence, it will deflect, likely more than the Bies or UNI. The fence and box tubibng along the front of the saw are not as stiff on teh T2. When/if I upgrade, it will be an Incra.
I don't mind the T2, but I would not choose it as an add on.

Homer Faucett
08-24-2007, 5:49 PM
I have had the T2, Unifence, Bies, and now have the Incra TSLS.

Frankly, I don't get why so many people dog the T2. It may not be as stout as the Bies, but I never had problems with deflection. It's smooth, and easily adjusted to be as accurate as you want. If you have problems with deflection with the T2, I would say that you have some technique issues. It's certainly seems more stout to me than the Incra or the Unifence. The only downside I saw with the T2 was that the cursor was not as easy to put on the "line" as the others.

As for the Unifence, I hated it. Maybe I'm biased, but I had it set up for a little over one month, and I never really felt like it was smooth and easy to operate. If your extension table has the slightest gap or imperfection, you're going to feel it when the fence goes over that section. Now with all that said, it is a perfectly usable fence, and if it's the only fence you'd ever have, you probably would never need more. However, as a personal preference, I'd take the T2 over the Unifence any day. Others may feel differently, but that's my take on the Unifence.

The Bies is a Bies. It's top notch. However, at standard retail price, I wouldn't pay the extra money over the T2 to get the Bies. If you pick one up for a song at Lowe's, then I say definitely go for it. If you're slamming sheet goods all the time, then maybe there's a reason to pay the extra for the Bies.

I currently use the Incra, and I really like the repeatability. It's a great fence. It does not seem as rugged as any of the other 3, but I use it for a wide spectrum of jobs and never have felt like it wouldn't stand up to good use. I don't even use the rail lock downs, and have not felt compelled to use them.

So, there is my "unbiased" opinion. Peronsally, I'd be happy with any of the fences except the Unifence. My favorite is the Incra, but I really like the T2 and Bies for ease of use and rugged build.

Jim Heffner
08-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Or to the unifence? I've been unable to find any really unbiased reviews on line. Just curious how they stack up. I've been looking to upgrade the 50" Jetlock fence on my unisaw but don't want to spend the big bucks on a 50" Bies if there isn't a need to- I'm just a weekend warrior.

I for one have the T-2 and I like it very much. It is a rugged, dependable fence that has always locked down square and tight each and every time I use the saw.The T-2 is a clone or copy of a Biese that I feel is primarly
geared toward the home shop/ weekend user rather than a commercial shop version like the Biese is. That being said, if anyone on a budget
or someone who needs a good fence upgrade from their cheaper original
fence that came with the saw should take a really serious look at the T-2
it is worth the money! The original fence with my saw, was to me an aggravation at best, it would skew out of square at a moments notice and was a real pita to realign, and I plain got tired of that! That is the reason I upgraded it. I know that their are others out there, some probably better....but I really like my T-2, for ruggedness, reliability, and accuracy it wins every time....hands down. Enough said on that for now.
Jim Heffner