PDA

View Full Version : Stencil Cover for brick engraving

Robert Rosensteel
08-24-2007, 1:55 PM
Hello this is the first brick order which I would like to cut stencils on laser. I use photorist now and want to cut my steps and cost in the process.Called different vendors about Laser Tape and they said they don,t think it would last for brick engraving.Would any one know a good self sticking rubber or vinyl with no PVC'S Thanks for your Help. Robert
:confused:

Joe Pelonio
08-24-2007, 2:48 PM
I have used Anchor sandblast stencil for many years, cut it on the laser some but mostly with the plotter. It's a rubber material with a low grade adhesive, and if stronger adhesion is needed, there's a "contact cement like" product called stencil filler (highly flammable) that's applied to the substrate, then the stencil applied to it. Typically I use the filler on any stone or wood jobs, not on glass/glossy/soft surfaces.

http://www.intertapepolymer.com/NR/rdonlyres/99806000-E05A-4236-BD12-45BD6F165EB0/0/StencilBrochure.pdf

Gary Hair
08-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello this is the first brick order which I would like to cut stencils on laser. I use photorist now and want to cut my steps and cost in the process.Called different vendors about Laser Tape and they said they don,t think it would last for brick engraving.Would any one know a good self sticking rubber or vinyl with no PVC'S Thanks for your Help. Robert
:confused:

Robert,
Call Judy at Innotec 800.776.7194 - I use their BT100 Blast Off and it works great in the laser, no pvc, and is thick enough to carve as deep as you want. I just did 40 - 12" x 18" stones with it and I was able to carve 1/4" into them with no damage to the mask at all. A 12" roll will cost you about $95, 6" is about $47.
I have my laser set to cut through the mask and leave the backing, easy to weed and very easy to transfer.

I also bought their JR248 Paint mask, it works great for glass, etc., and is also laser friendly.

Gary

Tom Majewski
08-25-2007, 1:19 PM
I've used rubbermaid shelf liner (foamy 1/8" thick) and contact cement with good success. Small pieces, like the inside of letters have to be well glued.

Gary Hair
08-25-2007, 3:31 PM
I've used rubbermaid shelf liner (foamy 1/8" thick) and contact cement with good success. Small pieces, like the inside of letters have to be well glued.

Tom,
If I'm not mistaken, I think that is PVC based - not positive though. Before I would use it I would want an MSDS from Rubbermaid.

Gary

Tom Majewski
08-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Tom,
If I'm not mistaken, I think that is PVC based - not positive though. Before I would use it I would want an MSDS from Rubbermaid.

Gary

Hmmmm. I'll have to look into that. I assumed it was just a latex-rubber something foam.

Robert Rosensteel
09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks all for your help. Gary I took your advice and Called Judy
at Innotec And ordered the BT-100 MASK It works good and stays put,I set laser at 70 P AND 2 S with 60w using vector for cutting the letters out take some time weeding out the letters. But the deep cut you can get with sandblasting is great. I also bought the green color mask and have not yet tried it. On my second order now with Judy great people and fast service. Thanks again Robert